Mangrove snapper

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

zload
Site Sponsor

Re: Mangrove snapper

Post by zload »

V20theellymay wrote:I was thinking of tryin some full moon night fishing. Not sure I should be running far enough offshore to get to 80’ in my little bay boat though lol at least not alone anyway. I stay to stay around 30 or less miles from shore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
80' at Mexico Beach is not that far out, the biggest problem over there is finding a place to stay post-Michael.
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
V20theellymay

Post by V20theellymay »

Oh I didn’t realize it got deep quickly up there. Here out of Yankeetown and the hatch it’s like 50 miles or something heck maybe more never been out that far

V20theellymay

Post by V20theellymay »

I own a suburban and we ain’t afraid to sleep in it for some good fishing lol

tailwaters

Post by tailwaters »

The deeper you go the bigger the bigger they get.

Regarding full moon night fishing. Keep in mind that's when the tide is moving the most. You will need to let out more anchor line than normal and use much more lead to get to the bottom.
Pirate

Post by Pirate »

We have fished for them in the keys at night on any moon and caught all we wanted. We found using chunks of grunt worked best as it stayed on until a big one would get brave and take it. In the keys 40 feet is the ideal depth . In the panhandle we have fished for them three or four times at night at the C-Tower and have done well. Some you cant slow down. The advantage to the C-Tower is you tie up to it so no anchoring at all. Its 16 miles off St George Island, Bob Sikes Cut. We have caught some during the day at Apalachicola Reef chumming the up. About 12 miles off SGI. However, if you are new to saltwater the ocean is no place in a bay boat at night.
People that catch a lot of fish fish a lot!
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

V20theellymay wrote:Oh I didn’t realize it got deep quickly up there. Here out of Yankeetown and the hatch it’s like 50 miles or something heck maybe more never been out that far

I hear you re: the Hatch, I was over there the last week of snapper season 35 miles out and still in 65'... 80' at MB is only about 15 miles off the beach and they have lots of artificial reefs over there MBARA
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
V20theellymay

Post by V20theellymay »

New to saltwater fishing and targeting things I’ve never caught before mostly just caught grunts and Spanish Chumming over artificial reefs. Used to have a 33 foot carver with twin screws we spent many a weekend out at the bendickenson tank reef. Main reason why I’m gonna try to find them maybe a little closer in with the bay boat. Had a pretty restless night one time in the big boat when waves came up middle of the night and splashed though the open hatch above the vberth [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY] heck of a way to wake up 25 miles offshore. Definitely must be careful and wanting to stay a little closer in.

bbb

Post by bbb »

Salty Gator wrote:
Just tell the man that Capt Rick Murphy told you do it with hookup jigs for yellowtail on the Florida fishing report :lol:
You see what happened was....this jig was meant for a trout, but was hit by a snapper, who was hit by the tax man.

And yes I got the jig head idea from all the guys on YouTube using them for YellowTail and Mangroves.
V20theellymay

Post by V20theellymay »

Tax man always out there looking for his cut. I see the guys using the jig heads on the YouTube too. Maybe they are in the keys or have a special federal permit lol

GusMccrae

Post by GusMccrae »

How is the Mangrove for table fare ? I’ve never had it.
V20theellymay

Post by V20theellymay »

I’ve never had it either but heard it’s great

Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

GusMccrae wrote:How is the Mangrove for table fare ? I’ve never had it.
Excellent
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

GusMccrae wrote:How is the Mangrove for table fare ? I’ve never had it.
One of the best.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image