Dicks Sporting Goods

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

doomtrpr_z71

Re: Dicks Sporting Goods

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

StMarksAngler wrote:
doomtrpr_z71 wrote:
Salty Gator wrote:
StMarksAngler wrote:Looks like the Dick's boycotters are going to have to stop shopping at Walmart now too.
That’s what I thought, but where is the “outrage”? None of the Dicks haters are saying a word
Maybe its because we already don't buy sporting goods from Walmart.....
But that's not the point... now the Dick's boycotters can't buy anything at Wal-mart either, cause the big bad liberals wanna take our machine guns away. :D
Yes, I'm sure the fudds are happy, spitting on your bread and butter clientele isn't smart either to appease a new bunch that won't go in the stores anyway. Larry corriea sums it up best

GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Have you ever been to San Francisco? Amazing fishing opportunities if you have a sense of adventure. Had to say that cuz this website is called BigBendFishing. About guns...

This is America. You don't need Dick's or Walmart, or even much imagination to find a way to get your hands on massive firepower. Gun shows, anyone?
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Y’all have gone full politics.

Lot’s of things have changed in the last 50 years. The presence of guns is not one of them. Neither is the right to vote.

The global market has changed, but the consumer still drives behavior of the seller when capitalism is in place.

Take your power as a consumer seriously and buy from whomever you want...preferably SGO or Kevin’s if you have any sense ;-)
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

GaryDroze wrote:Have you ever been to San Francisco? Amazing fishing opportunities if you have a sense of adventure. Had to say that cuz this website is called BigBendFishing. About guns...

This is America. You don't need Dick's or Walmart, or even much imagination to find a way to get your hands on massive firepower. Gun shows, anyone?
I have not, I do have a friend that is pretty obsessed with lingcod fishing in that area. He was able to get me knockoff daiwa gear from the same factory they use for their technical gear. But if I am going to spend that much time on an airplane it will be to south america or to the Caribbean, one trip to Seattle was enough.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

onefishtwofish wrote:No Salty. I have looked at a gun at Dick's. Never bothered to look at Wally World.

There is not much to say, we beat the horse, it is dead. I'll do me and y'all do you.
Really? Why is that? That gave similar inventory. Why wouldn’t you bother to look at wal mart?
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Salty Gator wrote:
onefishtwofish wrote:No Salty. I have looked at a gun at Dick's. Never bothered to look at Wally World.

There is not much to say, we beat the horse, it is dead. I'll do me and y'all do you.
Really? Why is that? That gave similar inventory. Why wouldn’t you bother to look at wal mart?
Mostly? Because I live in Quincy and their sporting goods section has been a total joke for all 30 years I have lived here. You could buy trout eggs (for freshwater trout fishing - no joke) and could not buy Johnson gold spoons! I am not talking Mike's, just Johnsons. They had tons of #4 lead, but no steel-years after the steel shot was in effect. back in the day I would buy their crap #8 loads for sporting clays, but now with Talon open (and a friend of mine is co-owner), I can get great quality target loads for the same drive from my house. If I am driving to Tallahassee to look at a pistol or shotgun, it would not have been Walmart on my list. Their shotguns have always been substandard quality, but I had not bought a cheap shotgun in years - I am an Over/Under snob. I did buy a Side by Side to take hunting at the coast last year and wanted cheap so I would not feel bad when it inevitably rusted - so after research, Academy was the only one that carried my choice of Yildiz, so that is where I purchased. Simply put, Walmart has not had the quality of firearm, nor the inventory, I would remotely want to purchase for well over 2 decades. I think I would only have a slightly worse chance of finding a gun I wanted by stopping at Winn Dixie! :D

I did check out a sale price pistol at Dick's back when I was looking for a specific .45 and they carried it. I got it from Kevin's for nearly the same price. I also drive by Noshoe Firearms in Crawfordville on my way to beach and have always liked the folks there. Bought a pistol from them years ago as well.

So before this "ban" (which is meaningless and just a try to appease certain folks), Dick's was barely on my radar and Walmart not at all.

The only thing I truly fail to understand is why folks get so defensive when someone says they will not buy from a certain corporation because of their public statements. Unless y'all are stock owners of Dick's or Walmart, why do y'all care if folks won't give them their hard earned money? I don't support Human Society of USA either (and I am sure you know the reasons) because of their stances (as well as their actions, or really their lack of actions). I just believe in a capitalist economy and voting with my wallet. It is actually more effective than voting R or D in most cases.

I mostly only piped in here because of some incorrect "stats".

EDIT: If you think of it this way, you will understand. Is Walmart your first stop to find rods and reels in Tallahassee?
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

I saw a beretta extrema 2 in a wal mart once. $200 less than I paid for mine, so decent inventory ( maybe only at times, don’t know don’t go there often), and similar in the inventory you will find at a Dicks ( or Academy or any other box store). And it was a tongue in cheek comment, certainly not a “stat” , but thanks
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

The "stats" was about my post way earlier about murder vs gun death stats.

I will take your word about Walmart selection now. back before the Remington 870 quality slipped across the board, Walmart had a sub standard quality 870 that was cheaper than anywhere else. It was made cheaply too. Don't anyone get mad at me, but there ain't gonna be no Stoeger O/U in my gun safe!

You could probably occassionaly find a decent rod or reel there too. But why would I drive to tally to look for one there, when there are at least 4 places I can find a great variety of better quality for the same drive? And I can support a local business as well. If no other option, then I can look at BPS, where at least there are other items I can shop for as well. Same for guns for me. I would go through an FFL and order one online before I bought at Walmart. That's just me.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?