New trout rules

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Re: New trout rules

Post by Redbelly »

I'm gonna put my comment on the MyFWC site. I like a Jan Feb closure. Leave all else the same,
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

Redbelly I called and talked to Krista who's been doing the meetings and gave my opinion on Feb again and also emailed.
FlyrodC

Post by FlyrodC »

As a seasonal (fall/winter) angler I'd be interested to see the opinions of why closing catch and keep in Jan/Feb would benefit the fishery much. From what I understand that is a time when the fish receive relatively minimal fishing pressure. Meaning, shutting it down in Jan/Feb provides less benefit. Fisherman will still be out, they'll just have to C&R trout during those months. The fish will still be caught.

Edit: which is why I support adjustable slot and size limits. Not saying that the new rule or old rule were set correctly. I truly don't know but since I'm typically feeding just myself and my wife, 4 fish per day seems to be plenty.

If this is just about not changing the rules for the Captains, I get it! If I' reading correctly, people on charters can't keep ST any longer. Is that correct? If so, that's pretty crummy. I'd be fine with a per boat limit for Captains but zero is harsh.
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

FlyrodC - fish become more lethargic in the winter, often moving up river to find warmer and more consistent water temperatures. This means you have a higher concentration of fish in tighter schools, and in more often than not - more accessible areas. These are not always your 12-17", but will include a greater volume of overslot breeding sow trout.

I can remember 7 to 10 years ago, we could go pluck 24"+ trout almost all day from a few different holes; always released of course. Now those fish have been depleted and the keep rate has increased for slot fish as the economy has gotten better, bringing more people to the coastal waters.

The closure is necessary. We do not have the deep, diverse and sustainable, habitat as other areas of the state or other gulf coast states with larger limits.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

FlyrodC wrote: If I' reading correctly, people on charters can't keep ST any longer. Is that correct? If so, that's pretty crummy. I'd be fine with a per boat limit for Captains but zero is harsh.
No for-hire captains can keep their catch/limit any longer when these new rules go into place.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

FishWithChris wrote: The closure is necessary. We do not have the deep, diverse and sustainable, habitat as other areas of the state or other gulf coast states with larger limits.
That may make sense for the Big Bend and I'm not opposed to a month's closure but what I don't understand or agree with is splitting the Big Bend from the Western panhandle and dropping the creel limit from 5 fish to 3 fish in the western panhandle when the trout are plentiful and thriving in the western zone. (at least from my experience) There's plenty of deep, diverse and sustainable habitat plus creeks, bayous and the ICW where they thrive year round.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
FlyrodC

Post by FlyrodC »

Thanks for the response Chris! After thinking on it a bit more, what you guys thoughts about requiring that all fish over 19" be released year round? A fella can't keep a 28" Redfish, why should he keep a 21" trout (note: I have kept a couple that size and bigger). I wouldn't disagree with requiring the larger prime spawning age trout to be released year round.
StMarksAngler

Post by StMarksAngler »

Juan wrote:
FishWithChris wrote: That may make sense for the Big Bend and I'm not opposed to a month's closure but what I don't understand or agree with is splitting the Big Bend from the Western panhandle and dropping the creel limit from 5 fish to 3 fish in the western panhandle when the trout are plentiful and thriving in the western zone. (at least from my experience) There's plenty of deep, diverse and sustainable habitat plus creeks, bayous and the ICW where they thrive year round.
Probably why these kinds of decisions are made from aggregate testimony of experts, scientists, etc. instead of just based on the anecdotal observation of recreational fishermen.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

FlyrodC wrote:Thanks for the response Chris! After thinking on it a bit more, what you guys thoughts about requiring that all fish over 19" be released year round? A fella can't keep a 28" Redfish, why should he keep a 21" trout (note: I have kept a couple that size and bigger). I wouldn't disagree with requiring the larger prime spawning age trout to be released year round.
Another good question. For my answer, you can look right on my avatar pic. The only reason we kept that big trout was because it was gilled on a lure. It was messed up bad and was going to die. If I had been a catch all you can legally keep and the one over did not exist, I would have tossed it back, dead, and kept another smaller fish. Not saying that is a large percentage, just one argument for the one over. I like the idea of none over though. A true slot.

If I were made the trout king, I would make it 15-20 - no overs. 5 trout per person per day in our area. Closed for keeping in both Jan and February. I honestly think that would be a more effective management technique.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?