Boating Has Multi-Billion Dollar Economic Impact

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

silverking
Site Sponsor

Boating Has Multi-Billion Dollar Economic Impact

Post by silverking »

U.S. Government: Recreational Boating Is a Big Deal in the U.S.

‘Outdoor Recreation’ significant economic driver;

How does your state line up?

SPRINGFIELD, VA, Oct. 9, 2019 – A September 20 report from the Department of Commerce’s Bureau of Economic Analysis (BEA) has reaffirmed that outdoor recreation activities are a significant driver of economic activity in the country, making up 2.2% ($247.2 billion) of the U.S. Gross Domestic Product (GDP).

When looking at “conventional” outdoor recreation activities, “boating/fishing” was the largest conventional activity for the nation as a whole at $20.9 billion in current dollar value added, surpassing RVing, motorcycling, hunting, and snow activities. Dollar value includes all economic contributions by marinas, boat dealers, repair shops, in-state boat manufacturers and additional impacts.

At the state level, the BEA report cited boating/fishing as the largest conventional activity in 29 states and the District of Columbia, led by Florida ($2.7 billion) and California ($1.8 billion). Adding to the report, BEA statistics show the top 5 states where outdoor recreation (as a whole) accounted for the largest percentage of total U.S. GDP are California, Florida, Illinois, Texas and New York.

“Clearly it’s time to give outdoor recreation, and in particular, recreational boating and fishing, its due,” said Boat Owners Association of The United States (BoatUS) Manager of Government Affairs David Kennedy. “This is no longer just about having fun outdoors. Having this data gives legislative bodies across the country the information and standing to ensure our interests are protected and nourished.”

Added Kennedy, “The next time a community needs money to repair or maintain a boat launch ramp, a new marina is proposed, or onerous legislation that could negatively affect boaters and anglers is being debated, the BEA report shows that supporting boating and fishing interests, as well as other outdoor activities, pays real dividends in local economies.”

###

Suggested Tweet and Facebook post:

U.S. Government: Latest BEA report confirms recreational boating is a big deal in the U.S. https://bit.ly/2IvEPmy @BoatUS, #BoatUSonWatch

About Boat Owners Association of The United States (BoatUS):

Celebrating more than 50 years, BoatUS is the nation’s largest organization of recreational boaters with more than a half-million members. We are the boat owners’ voice on Capitol Hill and fight for their rights. We are The Boat Owners Auto Club and help ensure a roadside trailer breakdown doesn’t end a boating or fishing trip before it begins. When boats break down on the water, TowBoatUS brings them safely back to the launch ramp or dock, 24/7. The BoatUS Marine Insurance Program offers policies that give boat owners affordable, specialized coverage and superior service they need. We help keep boaters safe and our waters clean with assistance from the nonprofit BoatUS Foundation for Boating Safety and Clean Water. Visit BoatUS.com.
1568.jpg
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Juan
Site Sponsor

Re: Boating Has Multi-Billion Dollar Economic Impact

Post by Juan »

I think I've contributed at least a billion. :-D
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Me too, Juan. At least I get to write a good chunk of it off as research. :wink:

How's that latest acquisition working out?
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

silverking wrote:Me too, Juan. At least I get to write a good chunk of it off as research. :wink:

How's that latest acquisition working out?
Not too bad SK. Last trip to the river the motor quit peeing and the trolling motor started squeaking. :( I replaced the seals in the trolling motor foot, changed the thermostat and found a blockage in the tell tale hose.. Working like it should again... (for now) :hammer: Giving it a break and taking the bay boat to the gulf tomorrow. :thumbup:
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/