Fourteen.

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Fourteen.

Post by Salty Gator »

SHOWBOAT wrote:trying throwing plugs for larger fish.

Jigs and live bait can catch quality fish, but getting a reaction strike on a floating or suspending plug will greatly increase the likelihood of quality fish.
Sorry about the derail SRB, as far as catching trout. Listen to showboat when he gives trout advice
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Nopatients

Post by Nopatients »

GaryDroze wrote:SG:

I'm not a "rubbing it in your faces" kind of person. I think the issue may be that I confer fishing tips the same way I did running tips when I was coaching high school cross-country. In 1997, my Maclay School team was ranked first in the state. The coach from Port St Joe High School pestered me all season for training advice, and I obliged. They went on to beat us in an upset win at the State Meet. The coach never even thanked me for my help. I was pissed for a while, but got past it. Guess it was my fault we lost, because I shared expertise. But I'm an EDUCATOR (note the all caps). It's in my DNA to spread knowledge.

Fast forward to this year. I am starting to see way more kayakers and wadefishers at "my" spots, and I suspect it is because I'm so open with info. In the last few months, I have encountered folks camping on my favorite low-tide holes, even during tournaments, when every cast matters and time works against you. Kind of sucks. Tough for me, but cool that fellow humans are getting into fish.

I'm still trying to figure out my response to you guys who can't stand to see somebody in your favorite spot. Most of you have motors on your boats, so you can turn around and scoot to Plan B. When it happens to me, I hafta paddle a few more hours, and adjust to tide changes.

I'm thinking about just not posting any more on this forum, and letting newbies track me down for location scoop. That way, they need to work a bit harder, since I'm not on social media & don't have a cell phone.
It would be terrible for gary to stop posting (btw PM me your phone number I'll bring dinner and we can talk fishing). He understands what he is doing by posting somewhat specific locations, and if your going out of st marks there are going to be more people fishing no matter what we do, the gulf access areas that are closest to our more popular areas are going to be busier and more congested than not.... now for the real reason I'm posting I feel like this forum is going the way of the rest of them someone always has something to say this is the second post in a month that has turned sour... I understand blasting a new guy who's first post is where is the best spot to catch **** and gimme the GPS numbers so I can go do it without any work. But to put a guy on blast who is doing the hard work and sharing what he knows because he wants to is a little rough... I respect all of you I just wish if we had problems w/ each other it wasn't blasted on the public forum there are PM for a reason.... sorry if this offends anyone that is not my intention.
Robalo 246
Cast and Blast 17
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

If I’m guilty of “blasting” anyone, I apologize. I don’t see anything wrong with a polite discussion on the subject. If something upsets people, the only way to know is if someone politely speaks up. I’m not the only one that feels this way. But I don’t mind speaking up in a friendly way. No one wants Gary to stop posting, or telling anyone he wants about specific locations. We only ask that he keep specific locations ( that we all fish) off of the World Wide Web
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

Gary just post you went to the Refuge and slayed em......again. :D

Problem solved.

Please don't stop posting, I like reading your stuff.
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

Jigs and live bait can catch quality fish, but getting a reaction strike on a floating or suspending plug will greatly increase the likelihood of quality fish.
I've tried some 5" jerkbaits under corks, and some topwater with almost zero success. Any specific lures?
All photos copyright @saverymill
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Srbenda wrote:

I've tried some 5" jerkbaits under corks, and some topwater with almost zero success. Any specific lures?
Suspending plugs like mirrolure mirrodine, Repalla x rap or yo zuri crystal minnow ( and plenty of others). Twitch pause, twitch twitch pause. Great trout baits when the floating grass will allow
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

Remember SRB that winter is coming. The flats will be too cold for any game fish soon. Winter fishing is different. The fish are often tightly congregated. IF you find them you are golden, but you can easily go home empty-handed too. In your Dorado you will be limited to fishing the river, frankly not the best option but you can still catch fish.

I don't use suspending plugs too often but they do work well. Personally I like a 1/8 Oz Jighead with a White 4" Z-man tail. The Z-man material floats, so with a light jighead the whole thing sinks very slowly. I just pitch it across and up current a bit and work it back slow keeping it about 2' below the surface. With 15 pound braid you will feel a solid thump and you are on.
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

rockyg wrote:Remember SRB that winter is coming. The flats will be too cold for any game fish soon. Winter fishing is different. The fish are often tightly congregated. IF you find them you are golden, but you can easily go home empty-handed too. In your Dorado you will be limited to fishing the river, frankly not the best option but you can still catch fish.

I don't use suspending plugs too often but they do work well. Personally I like a 1/8 Oz Jighead with a White 4" Z-man tail. The Z-man material floats, so with a light jighead the whole thing sinks very slowly. I just pitch it across and up current a bit and work it back slow keeping it about 2' below the surface. With 15 pound braid you will feel a solid thump and you are on.

True, the Dorado will get shallow, but it won't get creek shallow. Which is why I need a skiff/Gheenoe in my arsenal as well. :smt023

Thanks for the tip on the Zman, I'll grab some.
All photos copyright @saverymill
Ted in Tallahassee

To Gary Droze

Post by Ted in Tallahassee »

KEEP DOING WHAT YOU'RE DOING.

KEEP POSTING LIKE YOU ALWAYS HAVE.

IGNORE SOURPUSSES, POLLYANNA'S, WORRY WARTS, CRYBABIES, SISSIES, COMPLAINERS, AND CURMUDGEONS.

THANK YOU.
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

Trout are on fire over grass around the long bar using electric chicken paddletails and shrimp.