November 21 - 24 trip info

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Bradleycloud

November 21 - 24 trip info

Post by Bradleycloud »

considering a trip to either steinhatchee, cedar key, or st marks in november.
Will be bringing a 24 ft privateer from Charleston, SC.
Hoping to catch some grouper or whatever fish someone from this group suggests.

Any reason to pick one of these places over another?
Any suggestions on maps, charts, or chips?

Thanks for any info.

Bradley
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Re: November 21 - 24 trip info

Post by MudDucker »

Any of those would be good, but I used to fish out of Steinhatchee a good bit for grouper. I don't offshore much anymore, but if your run SW out of Steinhatchee until you are almost due west of Horseshoe Beach there is good live bottom that I've worked on the grouper before.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
tailwaters

Post by tailwaters »

Although the grouper fishing can be good this time of year the weather is a different story. We might have one good day a week when the wind isn't blowing too hard. That being said I would pick location based on a backup plan of inshore fishing for trout, reds and flounder. A place you can accomplish this in your boat. Regarding the grouper, trolling stretch 25 and 30's can be productive way to locate fish. It will also give you the opportunity to cover water and find decent spots. Since Stone Crab season is open just head offshore and look for the crab pot lines and troll down them. If you see something on your depth recorder you like circle back and drop some bait if the plugs aren't producing. good luck
Bradleycloud

Post by Bradleycloud »

Point taken.
Nice weather once a week is a lot better than we have had lately in Charleston, SC.
Wind never stopped blowing entire month of October offshore here.

Any of the 3 places better for trouts and reds?

Thanks.
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

St. Mark's is a good year round fishery. Almost always a place to hide from weather and fish.
All photos copyright @saverymill
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

I’ve fished st marks and cedar key year round, and steinhachee in the spring. But for November, I’d go for st Marks. There are more protected oyster bars to fish for inshore species if offshore doesn’t work out. With plenty of ramps to choose from depending on wind direction. And there is/ was really good November grouper fishing out of there although it’s shallow. Come on! Not much lodging in st Marks. But the sweet magnolia b&b. Has nice rooms and very solid breakfast
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven