Budget Rod/reel options

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Juan
Site Sponsor

Re: Budget Rod/reel options

Post by Juan »

Like most, I have to defend my $200 Stradics. They're great reels but I've also got a couple of KastKing Sharky II and IIIs that have more bearings, a lot more drag, throw just as far, cost under $50. each and catch just as many fish. Paired with a Shakespeare Ugly Stick or Lew's Speed Stick from Wally World and you've got a great inshore budget combo for around $100. or less.

I know, but I had to do it. :-D
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

[quote="Juan" I know, but I had to do it. :-D[/quote]

:lol:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Don't overlook yard/garage and estate sales or pawn shops for quality pre-owned tackle. Some might require some cleaning and/or servicing, but you can find some good buys that way. You could also find some classics that are worth some serious money at bargain prices.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
GusMccrae

Post by GusMccrae »

Thank you to all for the excellent advice. Juan, particularly, I have always wondered about the Kast Kings.
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

I started using baitcasters when they were all expensive, but didn’t all work very well. Fast forward to now and the truth is I haven’t used 1 in a very long time that doesn’t work pretty well. And I’ve used to cheap ones. Baitcasting reels are 1 of the few things in life that are made well across the board imo. 1 of the expensive ones I actually bought back in the day from a sporting goods store is in Walmart now for under $40!

I can also vouch for EBay. It seems like an unlikely place for good fishing stuff but it’s there and it’s plentiful.
spoton
Site Sponsor

Post by spoton »

I bought a Kast King Sharky II a couple of years ago when someone was promoting them on here and was quite pleased with it. Very smooth, good drag control. However this fall after I had not used it in a couple months it apparently had a bearing failure and locked up tight as a drum in the middle of a fishing day. However for what I paid for it I still would not rule it out as a budget option.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Coronatacklevirus.
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

spoton wrote:I bought a Kast King Sharky II a couple of years ago when someone was promoting them on here and was quite pleased with it. Very smooth, good drag control. However this fall after I had not used it in a couple months it apparently had a bearing failure and locked up tight as a drum in the middle of a fishing day. However for what I paid for it I still would not rule it out as a budget option.
I've had three of them for a couple of years now and so far they're still working like day one. But I did discover when I bought them they didn't have any lube at all in them so I serviced them and lube the bearings about every 6 months. I'm gonna catch h-e..double LL (again) for posting this but I like trying out the new cheap reels.. who knows, I may find one that lasts forever and like you said, for the price why not? I found and bought one a few months ago that so far imo performs better than the Kast Kings.. It looks better, casts great, has more bearings and it's cheaper too. Time will tell if it's worth keeping but so far, so good.
Sogayilang
https://www.amazon.com/Sougayilang-Fish ... =8-2-spell
Somebody's gonna say it, so I'll beat em to it: The first 5 letters in the brand name say it all. :-D
spoton
Site Sponsor

Post by spoton »

Yeah, I still love my Shimanos but I have a 17 yo daughter who is enamored with a boyfriend who loves to fish and hunt and goes with him all the time. I'm just not going to let her take out my best stuff. I've been thinking about trying one of the "South GA " reels for her and see how long it lasts. BTW, at her age the relationship probably wont last that long, but we hope this boyfriend sticks around for a while.
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

spoton wrote: I've been thinking about trying one of the "South GA " reels
Ha! I spelled it without the "u" . (So gay) :-D They are made in China where Kast King reels are made in New York and I'm not giving up my Shimanos either but so far I still say they're decent reels and certainly worth every penny.
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

Juan wrote:
Ha! I spelled it without the "u" . (So gay) :-D They are made in China where Kast King reels are made in New York and I'm not giving up my Shimanos either but so far I still say they're decent reels and certainly worth every penny.
Parts made, or parts assembled? [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Sent from the KetchupPacket
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

FishWithChris wrote:
Juan wrote:
Parts made, or parts assembled? [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Sent from the KetchupPacket
I'm sure the parts come from China. Kast King & Sougayilang = China, Shimano, Diawa, etc = Japan. 6 of 1, half dozen of the other. :-D
slow motion

Post by slow motion »

Please forgive my ignorance but what is a "SouthGaReel"? I certainly don't want my ignorance to cause me to miss out on the finer things in life, or not so fine either.
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

slow motion wrote:Please forgive my ignorance but what is a "SouthGaReel"? I certainly don't want my ignorance to cause me to miss out on the finer things in life, or not so fine either.
It's just a play on words. Sougayilang is the real name we were joking about. :wink:
Attachments
81aBn85jQyL._AC_SX569_.jpg
81aBn85jQyL._AC_SX569_.jpg (45.75 KiB) Viewed 3148 times