minn Kota Talon

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

CalGarretson

minn Kota Talon

Post by CalGarretson »

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a talon for my key west 1720. Question for the board, the 10' is only a little more than the 8' and seems worth it. Does anyone on here have a Talon and if so what length are you using?

I the reputation of a power pole, but with the limited space in the back of my boat I just don't have room for the hydraulics that a PP needs for set up. The talon just requires a couple wires and is ready to roll.
zload
Site Sponsor

Re: minn Kota Talon

Post by zload »

8' on my boat, if I'm deeper than that I use my iPilot spot lock. If purchasing today I would consider the 10' if there wasn't too much difference in price because why not, IIRC 8' was all they had when I got mine :)
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Another option to consider is the Power-Pole Micro Anchor. It's electric-driven vs. hydraulic (rechargeable battery pack also available) and works with optional spikes up to 10 feet. The spike can be easily removed and stowed in a rod rack if not being used and the motor housing has a small footprint. Rated for up to 1,500 pounds with passengers, so you should be under that weight limit with the KW.

Shields Marina in St. Marks is a dealer and I believe Sunshine Boats in Tallahassee is one also.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Ebryant

Post by Ebryant »

I have had the 10 foot for 4 years. No problems so far. I also bought the mounting bracket that bolts between the motor and the transom. This stops the stress on the transom.