Single hook vs. treble hooks on lures?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Single hook vs. treble hooks on lures?

Post by Steve Stinson »

Do any of you guys use the single hooked lures made by Rapala? If so, do you see a decrease in your hook-up ratio vs. traditional treble hooks?

I make some of my own lures out of cedar and I also paint both new and used hard plastic lures. I am having issues with the treble hooks damaging the sides of the baits. Take a look at your well-used spooks or Bomber Long-A's and you will see what I am talking about.

My thoughts are that I may be able to use single hooks on my custom painted baits and avoid some of the battle scars. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks - Steve Stinson
rockyg

Re: Single hook vs. treble hooks on lures?

Post by rockyg »

I use the single hooks on my Skitterwalks most of the time. They are less prone to fouling with grass, and frankly less prone to hook the fish too. lol

They are much safer for the angler and much less damaging to the fish, and that's why I use them.
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
tailwaters

Post by tailwaters »

I'm not a fan of treble hooks and always try and remember to bend the barbs down if I'm fishing with them. When fishing single hooks on sub surface lures I've noticed the hookup percentage increases if you set it by reeling vs the traditional way of snatching the rod. I haven't really tried them on inshore top water plugs though. Mainly sub surface ones. When fishing for AJ's offshore I take the trebles off the big popping plugs and add a single J hook to the back of the lure. I also bend the barb down too.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

[quote="rockyg"]I use the single hooks on my Skitterwalks most of the time. They are less prone to fouling with grass, and frankly less prone to hook the fish too. lol

:lol:
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Rocky - That's what I was afraid of....So I can save my lures, but not catch fish as well.
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

Steve.... you have already caught a lifetime's worth of fish.......this will just add some "challenge" to your efforts.

And......for an added bonus challenge..... bend down the barbs. Only the most excellently skilled ninja fisherman can overcome that and the single hook to land and release a big mama trout. :)
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Rocky - Sounds like you must plan on competing in our tournament trail this year....I appreciate all this friendly advice.
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

I’ve been thinking about just putting a bass hook on the end of my best big bass lures. If you remember I lost 3 bucket mouths last year on lures because they rassled away. Even when you hook them solid, they can get away. There are to many pressure spots when they’re all hooked up on trebles. If you want to reel in a big bass for sure it needs to be on 1 big bad hook where you’re pulling against each other in 1 spot. My fear is him swallowing it though. I don’t intend on keeping those bass.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Most of the bass pro's agree with your theory. They say they would rather hook a big tournament fish on a large single hook instead of multiple trebles. I've experimented a lot with hooks, weights, etc. in my lure building and found that some of the most expensive lures come with hooks that are too small or two weak to use in saltwater. Rapala is one of the worst offenders. I pay $12 for one of my favorite lures, then bring it home and immediately upgrade the hooks.

Without the upgrade, I've lost multiple trout and reds down at the coast even when I back off on my drag and take my time fighting the fish.

- Steve Stinson
STMU

Post by STMU »

I use single's a fair amount on my top-water and sub-surface. I find some of the lures that come with single hooks now tend to be a bit big, and I'll swap them out with some smaller VMC's (just make sure you get the ones with the inline eye). As others have mentioned, I do think I hook less fish overall, but I also catch less grass! I am ok with not landing every fish that hits my bait, as I still usually get my 1 red in the box. Personally I like watching the blow-up on topwater and the more they miss the hook the more explosions I get. Whether I land 2 fish or 20 fish, it really doesn't matter to me anymore. My younger self would have probably felt the opposite way, and I could see a tournament changing that mindset but to me landing a few less is ok.