last three months fishing reports

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

dudewheresmyplug

last three months fishing reports

Post by dudewheresmyplug »

Hey guys, I've slacked off a little in sharing the fishing reports on the forum :( , but i wanted to get you caught up in case your were interested. If you want to stay up to date with the latest reports, they get published first on facebook, and then whenever i get a spare moment I upload them to the youtube channel. Needless to say, I just got them all updated on the youtube channel recently, so here they are.

December: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms4DIGwF5b0&t=44s Captain Chip Leavine of FC Charters joined us for this one.
January: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbRGj3RYUEg&t=30s talk about scouting new areas in this video
February: Most recent https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Z-36NLWPE go in depth into what to look for in a productive creek.

Hope you guys enjoy, and I will try to get them up more timely in the future!

Thanks,
Jay
Dutch

Re: last three months fishing reports

Post by Dutch »

Thank you for taking the time to make these videos!!
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

Did the storm do anything for the water levels? I know it stinks at the time when everything floods but it’s good for fishing g and everything else in the long run. Obviously there was no flooding but from what I’ve seen it didn’t even fill the rivers back up. Granted I’ve only seen the St Marks on 27 which isn’t a good gauge.
FlyrodC

Post by FlyrodC »

Dudewheresmygurgler, thanks for posting these! I'm not a Facebooker and always enjoy watching, listening and learning from you and Captain Evan. Loved his 5 things to look for when creek fishing. I'm a newbie to salt/inshore fishing and you guys provide some strategies and things to think about. Keep 'em coming.
billfish3r

Post by billfish3r »

Hey thanks for the fishing reports and the tips. I'm new to fishing and your videos are quite informative. I've learned a lot. I cant wait to practice my baitcasting and use my Abu Garcia Revo SX this weekend.
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

Thank you for the updates!
dudewheresmyplug

Glad you guys are enjoying the videos. Please, if you have any particular topic that you would like us to discuss, or a guest you think would be good to have on, please let me know!!
dudewheresmyplug

FlyrodC wrote:Dudewheresmygurgler, thanks for posting these! I'm not a Facebooker and always enjoy watching, listening and learning from you and Captain Evan. Loved his 5 things to look for when creek fishing. I'm a newbie to salt/inshore fishing and you guys provide some strategies and things to think about. Keep 'em coming.
Yessir! glad you enjoy the videos! I'm guessing you like to throw gurglers! Join the club!
dudewheresmyplug

BloodyChamp wrote:Did the storm do anything for the water levels? I know it stinks at the time when everything floods but it’s good for fishing g and everything else in the long run. Obviously there was no flooding but from what I’ve seen it didn’t even fill the rivers back up. Granted I’ve only seen the St Marks on 27 which isn’t a good gauge.

Storm had very little effect on any of our local waters only got a few inches in spots, most areas received less than that. More of an affect on the tides when it came through with that wind.
TOWM

Post by TOWM »

I enjoy your reports and trying to put your shared knowledge to use. A couple of suggestions for future reports...where to find and catch sheepshead; where to find and catch black drum; and, more tips about proper etiquette (I liked your comment about “if you can’t cast into the other guys boat, your far enough away”. What are some other things that we ought to be doing or not doing to help keep everyone happy.
dudewheresmyplug

TOWM wrote:I enjoy your reports and trying to put your shared knowledge to use. A couple of suggestions for future reports...where to find and catch sheepshead; where to find and catch black drum; and, more tips about proper etiquette (I liked your comment about “if you can’t cast into the other guys boat, your far enough away”. What are some other things that we ought to be doing or not doing to help keep everyone happy.

All great suggestions! We will try to touch on those in future reports! Thanks!!
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

TOWM wrote:I enjoy your reports and trying to put your shared knowledge to use. A couple of suggestions for future reports...where to find and catch sheepshead; where to find and catch black drum; and, more tips about proper etiquette (I liked your comment about “if you can’t cast into the other guys boat, your far enough away”. What are some other things that we ought to be doing or not doing to help keep everyone happy.
I didn’t watch the vid, but one cast distance seems awfully close to me. And I believe most anglers would feel the same. We give people much more space than that. We like to give ( and get) at least a few casts lengths. I guess everyone is different in what the give and expect, but dang. Just because you can’t cast to their boat doesn’t mean they can cast to yours. That’s way too close. Try to give more space that that if you can. If you have to quietly pass someone that is anchored in a creek, then you might have to get close to pole or tm by. But to fish one cast away is very poor etiquette imho
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

*Edit, I don't think it was specific "just outside of casting distance" kinda comment, but........ just to feed into the conversation:

The only time you should be within a cast's length (or just barely beyond) are three scenarios:
1> With 'approval' from the other boat
2> slow-speed / idling by due to navigable obstruction (known rocks, rivers, etc...)
3> Hauling ass in the designated channel

This is ESPECIALLY important on tournament days; as they typically have distance requirements for boats while motor-off/lines in the water fishing. If I'm out just casually fishing with friends and you roll up to a VERY known area I expect us to be relatively close, but we'll be casting in a diff directions. I at least expect you to acknowledge me; if not I'm going to be calling you out and we'll exchange a few words, I'm sure.

I had a guide out of Eco come by me one day when I was with two friends fishing near Hickory area. He pulled up within 20 yards, power-poled down, then asked if we minded if they throw some shrimp out and catch some of the reds from the school we were fishing. I was on my poling platform at the time and I was just speechless. I said that I absolutely minded and that there were MILES of coastline north and south of us holding fish, try there. He jumbled a few words then lifted the pole and HAMMERED it, throwing a 2-3' wake (sponsons) and rocking my boat so much I had to brace myself on the platform to keep from falling. Absolute jackwagon (I know who it is, schleushbag).

Anyways, be mindful, fish how you expect people to fish near you and 9 times out of 10, everyone is happy.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

The “rule of thumb” I was taught was, if you can read the numbers on the other boat, you are to close to fish. Good point Chris , I forgot about tourney minimums. Some times you aren’t supposed to be fishing within 100 yards of another boat.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
dudewheresmyplug

I didn’t watch the vid, but one cast distance seems awfully close to me. And I believe most anglers would feel the same. We give people much more space than that. We like to give ( and get) at least a few casts lengths. I guess everyone is different in what the give and expect, but dang. Just because you can’t cast to their boat doesn’t mean they can cast to yours. That’s way too close. Try to give more space that that if you can. If you have to quietly pass someone that is anchored in a creek, then you might have to get close to pole or tm by. But to fish one cast away is very poor etiquette imho

In the video we were specifically talking about fishing in one of our local rivers in wintertime when there are multiple boats in one location. I think it would be helpful to see the context what we were talking about.