New to the area

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Lvnspeed

New to the area

Post by Lvnspeed »

Hi I am newish to the area thanks for adding me to this group. We are looking at buy a place on the Ochlocknee. We have been fishing off shore for years mainly on the east coast of Florida. I am finding the fishing here MUCH different. I am looking for some advise (water depth, what to look for on bottom finder, and general direction) on fishing out the Ochlocknee bay. Not looking to fish in the bay, looking to run off shore for Grouper (I know most are out of season right now), Snapper (I know most are out of season right now), Trigger, and Amber Jack (I know they are out of season right now). I m not looking for number (unless you want to PM me some :) ). I have downloaded the public numbers. We had some success at Ktower last weekend but just looking for some advise.

Thanks in advance
1998 Scarab Sport twin 300 Mercury Verados
Lvnspeed

Re: New to the area

Post by Lvnspeed »

I guess I should add we have deep diving trolling lures and usually have frozen squid, mackerel, and some shrimp
geofish

Post by geofish »

Gag grouper season will open in state waters in our local counties on April 1. WIthout being too specific, there are several artificial reefs and wrecks (public numbers) within a decent run of Ocholockonee bay that are within the 9 nautical mile (about 10.5 statute miles) limit; I launch at Mashes Sands sometimes and have done well on gags and flounder on these public numbers. Amberjack will require a much longer run . . .
Lvnspeed

Post by Lvnspeed »

Thanks Geofish

We go out of Mashes Sands too

going out tomorrow to see what we can find
StMarksAngler

Post by StMarksAngler »

From Mashes Sands you can try some of the artificial reefs to the east, but your best bet long term is going to be straight south, bearing out towards K Tower. Get to 30ft+ and start looking for hard bottom. Legal grouper in 30ft or less are hard to come by except in the winter. 50ft+ is much better. Lots of amberjack, red snapper, grouper and triggers at that depth.
Lvnspeed

Post by Lvnspeed »

Thanks StMarksAngler