Contracting the Coronavirus

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

ugadawg
Site Sponsor

Re: Contracting the Coronavirus

Post by ugadawg »

Our school system just canceled school for 2 weeks starting Monday. Just to make sure I'm safe, I plan to isolate myself.....I figure a mile or so off of Keaton Beach will limit my exposure pretty well 8) 8) . I'll post reports next week...
GusMccrae

Post by GusMccrae »

You dirty dawg :wink:
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Same with the school where I teach. As a demonstration of commitment to the health of our students, I will spend as much time as possible so far from Maclay School that my risk of spreading the virus is negligible. I'm going to quarantine myself at the St Marks National Wildlife Refuge. No sacrifice is too large for this great nation's youth.
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

Ohio governor says there's at least 100,000 infected people in the state... I'll bet you anything that there's 100x more confirmed cases unreported in our state.

Merkel says expect a rate of 70% infected in Germany.. You can bet your ass our government is playing this down.. Don't be stupid.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Many medical experts say when the final numbers are in, this will be no worse than the flu, with the exception of old folks and folks with compromised immune systems.

It is nearly fatal for the stock market as folks freak out. The freak out is due to the media hype.

Wash your hands and cover your face when you cough ... just like with the common cold, which by the way, is caused by a corona virus as well.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

The four coronaviruses that cause the common cold use humans as primary hosts, not bats. SARS-COV-2 is also - by latest reports - about twice as contagious as the other forms. Also, there is a vaccine for influenza. Not one yet for this bug.

That said: I was joking with my brother-in-law the other day that I'm not concerned, since the fatality rate is under 2%, and I like those odds. Then he reminded me that my parents are in their 80's, so if I infect them (visiting them next month), their odds are much worse. Oops. This is not about just me.

That said, part 2: MudDucker, you are so right about the stock market panic. My teacher pension account lost $90,000 in three weeks. Was going to retire this spring. So much for that. That's what we get for letting computer algorithms make most of the trades.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

My contracted it yesterday ... well, truth be told, she contracted the I got to have more toilet paper virus. So I stopped at the Soppchoppy Dollar store figuring it hadn't hit there yet. Nope, me an another dude sat there laughing and doing the same thing. I told him that this was stupid, but I wasn't going home without it to hear the fussing. He laughed and said exactly. :lol:
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

GaryDroze wrote:The four coronaviruses that cause the common cold use humans as primary hosts, not bats. SARS-COV-2 is also - by latest reports - about twice as contagious as the other forms. Also, there is a vaccine for influenza. Not one yet for this bug.

That said: I was joking with my brother-in-law the other day that I'm not concerned, since the fatality rate is under 2%, and I like those odds. Then he reminded me that my parents are in their 80's, so if I infect them (visiting them next month), their odds are much worse. Oops. This is not about just me.

That said, part 2: MudDucker, you are so right about the stock market panic. My teacher pension account lost $90,000 in three weeks. Was going to retire this spring. So much for that. That's what we get for letting computer algorithms make most of the trades.
Yep my 403b and 457b have lost over 2k in the past week, I was really hoping to use that for my boat fund and cash it out soon. I have a feeling this will be blown over by Easter and the market will come roaring back. Of course I am also hoping I have a different job then and don't need my 457/403 etc. The early spring should help this blow over quickly, on top of that, ever notice how when the media says it's going to be big, it isn't, and when they ignore it, it is big.
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

This is an excellent website for current information about the spread of this virus and its effect.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ .
Some of the countries badly affected/infected are not much bigger than some US states, but probably have greater population density.
Others, like Italy have a disproportionate aging population, there are many differing factors that will affect the results.

I think it will get worse before it gets better, only the production of an effective vaccine will puyt things back on an even keel, that includes the Stock Market.
We are not panicking, but just being very careful and aware.
A whole year of planned overseas travel has by Government enforcement been cancelled, so I will be doing a lot of reading.
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

If you are experiencing the following:
Anxiety
Paranoia
Depression

Don’t worry it’s not the virus, your just broke like the rest of us.
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

jsuber wrote:If you are experiencing the following:
Anxiety
Paranoia
Depression

Don’t worry it’s not the virus, your just broke like the rest of us.
:-D I've had those symptoms ever since I said "I do"
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/