How far have you been up Pinhook Creek (River)?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

BloodyChamp

Re: How far have you been up Pinhook Creek (River)?

Post by BloodyChamp »

Yeah I seen that. I don’t know if the wheels are far enough apart for a job boat though. I was thinking buy 2 of those and put 1 on each side hmmm...
StMarksAngler

Post by StMarksAngler »

How about a DIY dolly made from PVC, that you could disassemble afterwards?

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/110901209552156709/
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

I may or may not have been there on this. Rode around the back way but can't really remember how I got there lol.

Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

procraftwes wrote:I may or may not have been there on this. Rode around the back way but can't really remember how I got there lol.

Now that’s my kind of hiking!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

Yep after a little tinkering a DIY project is about to happen. I was thinking heavy duty fence post with a notch the width of the back of the boat in the middle, and wheels on the side because I have a bunch of posts laying around. PVC is obviously another option.

Me and motorcycles don’t get along lol my friend wants to go down there with me on the back of his :smt018 :smt018 :smt018
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

BloodyChamp wrote:Yep after a little tinkering a DIY project is about to happen. I was thinking heavy duty fence post with a notch the width of the back of the boat in the middle, and wheels on the side because I have a bunch of posts laying around. PVC is obviously another option.

Me and motorcycles don’t get along lol my friend wants to go down there with me on the back of his :smt018 :smt018 :smt018
ATV would work or a UTV. If I remember right even a 4x4 would take you right to the bridge but you can't cross it. It's been awhile and until this thread I didn't even know what it was that I saw lol. It's also possible there's multiple of those wooden bridges over it and I was somewhere else. I do remember being near the FL Trail.

Found an old video of where i'm talking about and maybe one of you guys will recognize it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPRCrhy ... e=youtu.be
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

O for sure you could get there on any ride the way I went in if we’re just talking terrain. I don’t go in all the way down the Fl trail. I go into the Aucilla WMA then pickup on the Fl trail where you can no longer drive and it’s solid ground all the way. Anything but a bicycle is illegal. Now I’ve obviously did some sneaking and creaking in my time regardless of a gate or a sign but I wouldn’t do it here. There might not be anybody in the Aucilla WMA but just over the bridge of course is the Refuge and the game wardens probably ride in to take a look. And the other crowds bike to the bridge that way.
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

They don’t make any wheels strong enough to go on the sides the way I was doing it, unless you use an axle system which I suppose is possible but I don’t have a way of drilling a hole all the way through the post long ways. Then if I did a fabricator would have to doctor up the rod in an axle kit to a precise length. So it’s getting a little pricey but I had another idea!!!!!!!!

Get a hand truck, lay it down flat, strap the boat to and and roll!!!!!!!!!! If that doesn’t work the only reason will be because the wheels are to close together. Take them off and a welder can fabricate it to be longer in minutes, then just put it back together and there you go.
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

From the SMNWR, it is a 7-mile straight shot east bike ride to that bridge (Tram Road Bridge - BTW obviously NOT the Tram Road in Tallahassee!).

About 10 years ago, I jerry-rigged a trailer to my MTB, and biked a small canoe the whole 7 miles. Talk about a workout! I hid the canoe near the bridge.
Went back two weeks later. My canoe was gone. If I ever do that again, a big lock goes on the boat.
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

GaryDroze wrote:From the SMNWR, it is a 7-mile straight shot east bike ride to that bridge (Tram Road Bridge - BTW obviously NOT the Tram Road in Tallahassee!).

About 10 years ago, I jerry-rigged a trailer to my MTB, and biked a small canoe the whole 7 miles. Talk about a workout! I hid the canoe near the bridge.
Went back two weeks later. My canoe was gone. If I ever do that again, a big lock goes on the boat.
What! I do believe it though. I don’t think I’ve ever been to the Refuge side without seeing a game warden. I’ve only seen people in the Aucilla WMA once ever...ever. Obviously that’s by freak chance because people do go up and down that main limerock road but that’s about the only place they go in there. The trails are pretty much untouched. And most of the people who go on the main road are hog hunters in hunting season from what I hear.

I wasn’t going to say anything but since you tried it...I was going to maybe leave an expendable Jon boat hidden on the WMA side locked to a tree lol! If my cart works though there’s no need. We’ll see soon I hope!
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

I went back at high tide today just to see if a million fish were going to come in with it. And just to see what it looked like, how much water etc. I brought a cup of worms and all I caught was Pinfish. The water was dark after being almost crystal clear last week so I couldn’t see the mullet or whatever else was out there except for the few Gar close to the top. The 2 exceptions were the group of mullet I saw swim through 1 beam of sunlight in the shade. Then there were also finger mullet in the sides again. They weren’t interested in the worms. I guess you have to go on up before you get on to any freshwater fish. There wasn’t much striking or anything else going on that I could see. There are some cheap Jon boats available on FB marketplace but they’re all a town or 2 over. I don’t much want to travel right now lol! So I guess this is on hold for now.
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

Was a good day to get out and explore, just a matter of time before your in the right place at the right time. Keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Danibeth

Post by Danibeth »

I don't know how wide the trail is that you are talking about but I have a cart that is both easy to pull walking or riding a bike. This picture is of my buddy and the cart loaded down with lots of duck hunting stuff but basically it is two front forks of a bike, a welded frame with a basket welded in between them. If you can weld, the parts to make this cart or something similar would be pretty easy to come by

I imagine that it would carry a small jon boat quite nicely.

Danibeth
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

Wow Dani that is nice. Today I did a little of that sneaking and creaking that I mentioned earlier in this convo, nothing majorly offensive and certainly nothing unethical or damaging to any property like a gate. I also didn’t violate what the gate stood for. But what I did do was...well let’s just say getting a boat down there is no longer a problem lol! Knowing my luck I won’t be able to do this by the time I get another boat but for now it’s not a problem and if it is we’ve covered what I need to do.

So as for today I walked up on either what I think was some upper Aucilla style (but on the Pinhook) water that was loaded with fish riding out the drought, or a sinkhole. I think it was option number 1 but I wasn’t diving in to be sure. It was hard to get the line in the water but when I did boom! Warmouth, a Stumpknocker, and more 10 inch bass than I could count. Then finally I hooked into a fat boy and got him up the bank. Really proud of my day today.

This tells me that there is freshwater fish up from that bridge eventually, yet way down from where I was as I was way upriver but not as far up as I’ve fished in before. Also this wasn’t the little sinkholes near the Aucilla WMA that are pretty well known. And I have 1 correction from before when I mentioned people not going into the Aucilla WMA. What I meant was the Aucilla WMA section across 98 which is kind of just there if you don’t know about the Pinhook.

Anyway I think catching a monster bass or anything else is a formality at this point. The feat will be getting there similar to my St Marks trips last year that ended in bass heaven.
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »