Snake in the yard..

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Red Beard

Snake in the yard..

Post by Red Beard »

Kids came in to tell me snake is in the yard.. nothing new. Went out and at first glance the color threw me off thinking it was a copperhead.

But closer I looked, I see it’s not. From my google search looks to be a Mole King Snake. The website said that only 40 specimens have been found in forty years?!? Caught me a rare poke’mon!

Didn’t mess with it, being non venomous. But definitely a cool looking critter. Would blend in on a bed of pine needles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Re: Snake in the yard..

Post by GaryDroze »

Cool find! I saw one on the Deep Creek levee in St Marks Refuge three weeks ago. Maybe their population is ticking up.

Only way I could tell mine was not an eastern corn snake, which is common in Florida & looks the same, is that corn snakes have a distinct neck (narrowing behind the head before rest of body starts), while with kings the head blends right into the body.

Glad you didn't kill it. By far there are way more nonvenomous than venomous snakes in Florida. They're not all a@@hole water moccasins!