What fish WON'T you eat?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Srbenda

Re: What fish WON'T you eat?

Post by Srbenda »

GaryDroze wrote:Just took a pan of large redfish & trout heads out of the oven. Marinated in Italian dressing, seasoned with Old Bay, garlic powder, and parsley. Baked at 425 for 25 minutes. Then dug all the meat out of the heads with a small paring knife, loaded it onto a big plate of tortilla chips, sprinkled chopped red onion & shredded cheddar cheese, and microwaved for 45 seconds...

Fish Head Nachos! Sounds awful, tastes like an Apalachee Bay Flavor Explosion. Figure if I'm going to kill a fish, might as well use the whole thing. Had trout roe for appetizer.
Good idea on baking the heads.
How do you cook/ eat the roe?
All photos copyright @saverymill
GusMccrae

Post by GusMccrae »

Many of the ones already mentioned. But not a fan of speckled cats. Too soft.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

When I wrote and published my saltwater fish ID guide many years ago, I included edibility as part of the species descriptions. I was living in Pensacola at the time.

Had people ready to fight me when I labeled mullet as FAIR. Big difference in taste depending on where mullet are caught and what they've been feeding on.

I'll still stand by my assertion that flounder are EXCELLENT. :lick:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

silverking wrote:When I wrote and published my saltwater fish ID guide many years ago, I included edibility as part of the species descriptions. I was living in Pensacola at the time.

Had people ready to fight me when I labeled mullet as FAIR. Big difference in taste depending on where mullet are caught and what they've been feeding on.

I'll still stand by my assertion that flounder are EXCELLENT. :lick:
I’ve seen mullet ranked as excellent on one of those charts. I’m not a veteran, but folks in the know say out front mullet are far better than canal mullet
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

I've eaten "canal mullet" when snagged, cleaned and thrown on a grill within 30 minutes time and they were good.. any other way, they're bait. :-D
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
bman

Post by bman »

GARY, you’re missing out on lady fish. I promise I can cook them where you’ll love them.
How did you cook the roe? I keep wanting to figure out how to do you some kind of caviar with the roe in the fish we catch.
It’s fine fried but I can’t help but think it would be better some other way

I can’t stand sail cats. Even trimming all the dark meat out I think they taste terrible
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
STMU

Post by STMU »

bman wrote:GARY, you’re missing out on lady fish. I promise I can cook them where you’ll love them.
How did you cook the roe? I keep wanting to figure out how to do you some kind of caviar with the roe in the fish we catch.
It’s fine fried but I can’t help but think it would be better some other way

I can’t stand sail cats. Even trimming all the dark meat out I think they taste terrible
Trout roe is pretty good. I'm actually not a trout fan, but do keep it for the roe. The rest of the fish goes to my neighbor or in the garden. Not sure how others do it, but I barely cook mine. Quick flash on the grill or skillet on both sides to take the edge off and that is it, probably less than 30 seconds total. If you overcook it the roe turns into this pasty pink mush. Others may do it differently, and I'm definitely curious how others do it.
FTReelty

Post by FTReelty »

We keep and eat all the Trout roe. Flour, Old Bay....you need to cut the roe and break the skin on it, otherwise it will explode in the grease. Fry until it floats or less than 4 minutes. Like to sprinkle with hot sauce right out of the oil. Makes a great appetizer while frying the good stuff. Also my favorite fried anything is Grouper or Snapper throats. You'll never throw another one away after you've tried it!
JeffB
Site Sponsor

Post by JeffB »

My favorite way to eat any kind of roe is just floured and fried.
But, years ago when we put nets in Spring Creek and Lake Seminole for suckers we would
saute onions and the roe in butter and then mix with chicken eggs. Very delicious
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

2 more: Sea robins and sting rays. I tried a sting ray once.. YUCK!
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/