• Advertisement
beavisrealty.com


Please Support our Sponsors

Apalachee Bay in May

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.
Image

Moderators: Tom Keels, bman, Chalk

Inshore Fishing Reports Forum Sponsored By
Image

Apalachee Bay in May

Postby Srbenda » May 18th, 2020, 9:27 am

Fished both days this weekend, water temps were steady at 77f -78f and mostly clear.

Saturday, headed east to start the day, and had nice clear water with a stiff east breeze. Absolutely slayed the pufferfish, they seemed to be schooling together and would chase almost anything that you threw. As compared to normal puffers that just get dragged through the water, these guys are pretty feisty and are decently fun to catch.

I did everyone a favor by eliminating a small group of puffers for the day.

Image

Headed to the west flats, and fished in varied depths from 4' to 8'. Found trout in both depths, but neither were consistent. However, we did run into a school of bull reds, and doubled up them, resulting in a two ring circus around the boat while being pulled around the boat a few times, and finally netting both fish. Both measured at 36"+

Image

Fished a sandbar at high tide with no luck, but was hoping for another big red...

Sunday we headed out to the Shoals, and ran into a huge bait pod getting smacked. We threw everything we could at the pod, spoons, Clark spoons, jerk baits, and only caught one Spanish, but we did land about 7 blue runners. Floated one of those for awhile with no luck. The Shoals seemed quiet, except for our friends the smooth puffers, who showed up for pinfish on a cork, so we took 2 more out of commission.

There was sizeable group out at the Shoals enjoying the weather, and shout out to the guy in the Hewes 18 who went full throttle about 15' from our boat as he was leaving.

It was a nice weekend, albeit a little windier than hoped for, the Dorado performed excellently as always, fishing from 2' to 20'.

Image
All photos copyright @saverymill
User avatar
Srbenda
 
Posts: 501
Joined: February 11th, 2018, 9:33 am


Re: Apalachee Bay in May

Postby silverking » May 18th, 2020, 10:12 am

Thanks for the report. Nice job on the bull reds. :thumbup: What were they caught on?

That's a great shot of the Dorado. Was that taken from the Lighthouse observation deck?

Surprised the Shoal wasn't more active. It can be hit or miss though and it's a bit of a run out there if it isn't. Bummer on the lack of courtesy. It's a reflection on society as a whole these days.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
silverking
Site Sponsor
 
Posts: 4726
Joined: June 29th, 2003, 6:31 pm
Location: Forgotten Coast

Re: Apalachee Bay in May

Postby Red Beard » May 18th, 2020, 10:17 am

Thanks for the report. My skiff is at St. Marks Pro so I’m living through y’all right now.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
Red Beard
 
Posts: 234
Joined: March 16th, 2020, 9:06 pm

Re: Apalachee Bay in May

Postby Srbenda » May 18th, 2020, 10:40 am

silverking wrote:Thanks for the report. Nice job on the bull reds. :thumbup: What were they caught on?

That's a great shot of the Dorado. Was that taken from the Lighthouse observation deck?

Surprised the Shoal wasn't more active. It can be hit or miss though and it's a bit of a run out there if it isn't. Bummer on the lack of courtesy. It's a reflection on society as a whole these days.


Redfish on a paddletail, just lucky!

The Dorado from a house in Shell Point, nice vantage point!

There was LOTS of bait around the shoals, but nothing on the flats. Still a beautiful day out there!
All photos copyright @saverymill
User avatar
Srbenda
 
Posts: 501
Joined: February 11th, 2018, 9:33 am

Re: Apalachee Bay in May

Postby leesburgga » May 21st, 2020, 7:43 pm

What are the Shoals that you are referring to?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
leesburgga
 
Posts: 197
Joined: March 12th, 2009, 9:07 pm
Location: Leesburg, Ga

Re: Apalachee Bay in May

Postby JeffB » May 22nd, 2020, 6:42 am

Ochlockonee River Entrance Ochlockonee Shoal.png
Ochlockonee River Entrance Ochlockonee Shoal.png
Attachments
Ochlockonee Shoal.png
JeffB
Site Sponsor
 
Posts: 153
Joined: September 9th, 2010, 8:50 am

Re: Apalachee Bay in May

Postby Salty Gator » May 22nd, 2020, 9:20 am

Srbenda wrote:Fished both days this weekend, water temps were steady at 77f -78f and mostly clear.

Saturday, headed east to start the day, and had nice clear water with a stiff east breeze. Absolutely slayed the pufferfish, they seemed to be schooling together and would chase almost anything that you threw. As compared to normal puffers that just get dragged through the water, these guys are pretty feisty and are decently fun to catch.

I did everyone a favor by eliminating a small group of puffers for the day.

Image

Headed to the west flats, and fished in varied depths from 4' to 8'. Found trout in both depths, but neither were consistent. However, we did run into a school of bull reds, and doubled up them, resulting in a two ring circus around the boat while being pulled around the boat a few times, and finally netting both fish. Both measured at 36"+

Image

Fished a sandbar at high tide with no luck, but was hoping for another big red...

Sunday we headed out to the Shoals, and ran into a huge bait pod getting smacked. We threw everything we could at the pod, spoons, Clark spoons, jerk baits, and only caught one Spanish, but we did land about 7 blue runners. Floated one of those for awhile with no luck. The Shoals seemed quiet, except for our friends the smooth puffers, who showed up for pinfish on a cork, so we took 2 more out of commission.

There was sizeable group out at the Shoals enjoying the weather, and shout out to the guy in the Hewes 18 who went full throttle about 15' from our boat as he was leaving.

It was a nice weekend, albeit a little windier than hoped for, the Dorado performed excellently as always, fishing from 2' to 20'.

Image


Are you just killing those rabbit fish?
Turn off your mind relax and float downstream
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor
 
Posts: 3136
Joined: April 17th, 2010, 7:23 pm
Location: Tallahassee

Re: Apalachee Bay in May

Postby Gulf Coast » May 22nd, 2020, 9:44 am

I'm NOT a lawyer, but you probably shouldn't answer that !! :smt004
User avatar
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor
 
Posts: 1828
Joined: February 9th, 2010, 3:25 pm
Location: WOODVILLE/MEDART

Apalachee Bay in May

Postby Red Beard » May 22nd, 2020, 10:38 am

Gulf Coast wrote:I'm NOT a lawyer, but you probably shouldn't answer that !! :smt004
Image


Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkImage
User avatar
Red Beard
 
Posts: 234
Joined: March 16th, 2020, 9:06 pm

Re: Apalachee Bay in May

Postby Srbenda » May 22nd, 2020, 6:12 pm

Salty Gator wrote:
Srbenda wrote:Fished both days this weekend, water temps were steady at 77f -78f and mostly clear.

Saturday, headed east to start the day, and had nice clear water with a stiff east breeze. Absolutely slayed the pufferfish, they seemed to be schooling together and would chase almost anything that you threw. As compared to normal puffers that just get dragged through the water, these guys are pretty feisty and are decently fun to catch.

I did everyone a favor by eliminating a small group of puffers for the day.

Image

Headed to the west flats, and fished in varied depths from 4' to 8'. Found trout in both depths, but neither were consistent. However, we did run into a school of bull reds, and doubled up them, resulting in a two ring circus around the boat while being pulled around the boat a few times, and finally netting both fish. Both measured at 36"+

Image

Fished a sandbar at high tide with no luck, but was hoping for another big red...

Sunday we headed out to the Shoals, and ran into a huge bait pod getting smacked. We threw everything we could at the pod, spoons, Clark spoons, jerk baits, and only caught one Spanish, but we did land about 7 blue runners. Floated one of those for awhile with no luck. The Shoals seemed quiet, except for our friends the smooth puffers, who showed up for pinfish on a cork, so we took 2 more out of commission.

There was sizeable group out at the Shoals enjoying the weather, and shout out to the guy in the Hewes 18 who went full throttle about 15' from our boat as he was leaving.

It was a nice weekend, albeit a little windier than hoped for, the Dorado performed excellently as always, fishing from 2' to 20'.

Image


Are you just killing those rabbit fish?
I have no idea what you're talking about.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
All photos copyright @saverymill
User avatar
Srbenda
 
Posts: 501
Joined: February 11th, 2018, 9:33 am

Re: Apalachee Bay in May

Postby leesburgga » May 22nd, 2020, 6:19 pm

Jeff B, thank you for the info on the shoals. Where are running to there from?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
leesburgga
 
Posts: 197
Joined: March 12th, 2009, 9:07 pm
Location: Leesburg, Ga

Re: Apalachee Bay in May

Postby Srbenda » May 22nd, 2020, 6:25 pm

leesburgga wrote:Jeff B, thank you for the info on the shoals. Where are running to there from?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Its about 9nm from the St Mark's lighthouse, easy on a good day

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
All photos copyright @saverymill
User avatar
Srbenda
 
Posts: 501
Joined: February 11th, 2018, 9:33 am

Re: Apalachee Bay in May

Postby Salty Gator » May 22nd, 2020, 7:20 pm

I’ll take that as a yes. Was that your own idea, or did someone tell you it was a good idea? Considering the fish you admit to eating on this forum, you may consider learning to safely clean something that you kill. It may even taste better than spade fish
Turn off your mind relax and float downstream
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor
 
Posts: 3136
Joined: April 17th, 2010, 7:23 pm
Location: Tallahassee

Re: Apalachee Bay in May

Postby leesburgga » May 22nd, 2020, 8:26 pm

Thanks for the info. Heading down tomorrow.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
leesburgga
 
Posts: 197
Joined: March 12th, 2009, 9:07 pm
Location: Leesburg, Ga

Re: Apalachee Bay in May

Postby Red Beard » May 22nd, 2020, 11:58 pm

leesburgga wrote:Thanks for the info. Heading down tomorrow.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ahh going to be a day too late. Fish just left for vacation should be back in a few months...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
Red Beard
 
Posts: 234
Joined: March 16th, 2020, 9:06 pm

Next

Return to Inshore Fishing Reports

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests

Home | Weather | Tides & Moon | Pictures | Links
Articles | Area Charts | Area Guides | Online Licenses | Discussion
Reports | Tips & Tricks | Feedback | Contact | About | Advertise

Copyright 2001 - 2012 BigBendFishing.Net