Apalachee Bay in May

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Srbenda

Apalachee Bay in May

Post by Srbenda »

Fished both days this weekend, water temps were steady at 77f -78f and mostly clear.

Saturday, headed east to start the day, and had nice clear water with a stiff east breeze. Absolutely slayed the pufferfish, they seemed to be schooling together and would chase almost anything that you threw. As compared to normal puffers that just get dragged through the water, these guys are pretty feisty and are decently fun to catch.

I did everyone a favor by eliminating a small group of puffers for the day.

Headed to the west flats, and fished in varied depths from 4' to 8'. Found trout in both depths, but neither were consistent. However, we did run into a school of bull reds, and doubled up them, resulting in a two ring circus around the boat while being pulled around the boat a few times, and finally netting both fish. Both measured at 36"+

Fished a sandbar at high tide with no luck, but was hoping for another big red...

Sunday we headed out to the Shoals, and ran into a huge bait pod getting smacked. We threw everything we could at the pod, spoons, Clark spoons, jerk baits, and only caught one Spanish, but we did land about 7 blue runners. Floated one of those for awhile with no luck. The Shoals seemed quiet, except for our friends the smooth puffers, who showed up for pinfish on a cork, so we took 2 more out of commission.

There was sizeable group out at the Shoals enjoying the weather, and shout out to the guy in the Hewes 18 who went full throttle about 15' from our boat as he was leaving.

It was a nice weekend, albeit a little windier than hoped for, the Dorado performed excellently as always, fishing from 2' to 20'.

All photos copyright @saverymill
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Apalachee Bay in May

Post by silverking »

Thanks for the report. Nice job on the bull reds. :thumbup: What were they caught on?

That's a great shot of the Dorado. Was that taken from the Lighthouse observation deck?

Surprised the Shoal wasn't more active. It can be hit or miss though and it's a bit of a run out there if it isn't. Bummer on the lack of courtesy. It's a reflection on society as a whole these days.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

Thanks for the report. My skiff is at St. Marks Pro so I’m living through y’all right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

silverking wrote:Thanks for the report. Nice job on the bull reds. :thumbup: What were they caught on?

That's a great shot of the Dorado. Was that taken from the Lighthouse observation deck?

Surprised the Shoal wasn't more active. It can be hit or miss though and it's a bit of a run out there if it isn't. Bummer on the lack of courtesy. It's a reflection on society as a whole these days.
Redfish on a paddletail, just lucky!

The Dorado from a house in Shell Point, nice vantage point!

There was LOTS of bait around the shoals, but nothing on the flats. Still a beautiful day out there!
leesburgga

Post by leesburgga »

What are the Shoals that you are referring to?

JeffB
Site Sponsor

Post by JeffB »

Ochlockonee River Entrance Ochlockonee Shoal.png
Ochlockonee River Entrance Ochlockonee Shoal.png
Attachments
Ochlockonee Shoal.png
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Srbenda wrote:Fished both days this weekend, water temps were steady at 77f -78f and mostly clear.

Saturday, headed east to start the day, and had nice clear water with a stiff east breeze. Absolutely slayed the pufferfish, they seemed to be schooling together and would chase almost anything that you threw. As compared to normal puffers that just get dragged through the water, these guys are pretty feisty and are decently fun to catch.

Headed to the west flats, and fished in varied depths from 4' to 8'. Found trout in both depths, but neither were consistent. However, we did run into a school of bull reds, and doubled up them, resulting in a two ring circus around the boat while being pulled around the boat a few times, and finally netting both fish. Both measured at 36"+

Fished a sandbar at high tide with no luck, but was hoping for another big red...

Sunday we headed out to the Shoals, and ran into a huge bait pod getting smacked. We threw everything we could at the pod, spoons, Clark spoons, jerk baits, and only caught one Spanish, but we did land about 7 blue runners. Floated one of those for awhile with no luck. The Shoals seemed quiet, except for our friends the smooth puffers, who showed up for pinfish on a cork, so we took 2 more out of commission.

There was sizeable group out at the Shoals enjoying the weather, and shout out to the guy in the Hewes 18 who went full throttle about 15' from our boat as he was leaving.

It was a nice weekend, albeit a little windier than hoped for, the Dorado performed excellently as always, fishing from 2' to 20'.

Are you just killing those rabbit fish?
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

I'm NOT a lawyer, but you probably shouldn't answer that !! :smt004
Red Beard

Apalachee Bay in May

Post by Red Beard »

Gulf Coast wrote:I'm NOT a lawyer, but you probably shouldn't answer that !! :smt004

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkImage
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

Salty Gator wrote:
Srbenda wrote:Fished both days this weekend, water temps were steady at 77f -78f and mostly clear.

Are you just killing those rabbit fish?
I have no idea what you're talking about.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
leesburgga

Post by leesburgga »

Jeff B, thank you for the info on the shoals. Where are running to there from?

Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

leesburgga wrote:Jeff B, thank you for the info on the shoals. Where are running to there from?

Its about 9nm from the St Mark's lighthouse, easy on a good day

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

I’ll take that as a yes. Was that your own idea, or did someone tell you it was a good idea? Considering the fish you admit to eating on this forum, you may consider learning to safely clean something that you kill. It may even taste better than spade fish
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
leesburgga

Post by leesburgga »

Thanks for the info. Heading down tomorrow.

Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

leesburgga wrote:Thanks for the info. Heading down tomorrow.

Ahh going to be a day too late. Fish just left for vacation should be back in a few months...