Keaton Beach 5/19-5/22

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

ddb

Keaton Beach 5/19-5/22

Post by ddb »

After a long covid-19 inspired hiatus I was able to get down for some mid-week fishing at Keaton with a good friend. We experienced good fishing with limits or near limits of sea trout each day. We managed to find a few quality fish mixed in with several slot fish. Our top sea trout went 27", along with a couple at 24 and a couple at 22. Most were released. We also picked up a flounder, a couple of reds, and the obligatory sail cats and puffer fish. Actually the puffers did not give us as much trouble as I expected from all of the reports. Water temps were from 76 to 80. Our bite pretty much followed wind and tide conditions. The one exception was a great early morning bite on 5/22 on the last of the fall. We picked up our fish on a mixture of pin fish, gulp shrimp, and cut bait. The majority of our fish likely came out of 6-8' of water, although later in the week we had good success in shallower water (4-5).

A bit of a soapbox moment. We got up early on the 22nd and experience a blissful hour of the ocean pretty much to ourselves. Around 8 am, with miles of open ocean around us, a G3 or similar decided they needed to cut off our drift, coming within 50 yds in front of us. Like I said, there was not another boat around us so it would have been quite simple to cut behind us and given us plenty of room. I usually give folks the benefit of the doubt that they are just learning the whole drift fish concept, this however appeared intentional. Can't quite figure out folks like that.

Sorry for the lack of pics. Seams I've lost all my image sharing sites and will have to learn another technique.
Hit-n-Miss

Re: Keaton Beach 5/19-5/22

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Nice. Was BB with you? Tapatalk is a free app that I use to load pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

Hit-n-Miss wrote:Nice. Was BB with you? Tapatalk is a free app that I use to load pictures.

Tapatalk makes this forum a lot easier to navigate in my opinion... that no one asked for lol

And it’s full of GIFS

ddb

Post by ddb »

Bb sat this one out. Tried tapatalk out. It was a bit confusing to me. Might be my old phone.
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

ddb wrote:Bb sat this one out. Tried tapatalk out. It was a bit confusing to me. Might be my old phone.
I like the app because you can click the discussions tab. Instead of searching individual topics it places all threads in a feed. (Like Facebook) it’s easier to stay up to date with any current topic.