Tackle trays

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Juan
Site Sponsor

Tackle trays

Post by Juan »

Do you use tackle trays and if so what size do you store your lures in? I keep my soft plastics and 3" to 4" swimbaits in tackle trays and can't find the perfect tray. I probably have a dozen of the largest size trays I could buy and can't get more than 12 compartments in one when I place the dividers so a 3" bait will fit without bending and stuffing them in a smaller slot. I've always tried to keep the compartments large enough for the lures to lie straight. Is that necessary? Will soft plastic swimbaits lose their shape if they're stored bent? I can get 16 slots if I move the dividers and bend the lures. I'd like to get more lures into each tray and reduce the number of trays I keep on the boat. :hammer:
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Tackle trays

Post by silverking »

Have you looked at soft binders? I have an Albakore that has several zip-top bags of different sizes on internal rings (the originals rusted so I just use zip ties now). They'll hold numerous soft baits and it's fairly compact. Fits inside my nylon computer bag along with a hard-plastic box. It's what I've been using for years. But then again, I don't carry a tackle store with me on every trip. (See the 3 Lures post.) :wink: I'll take some pix and upload.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

silverking wrote:Have you looked at soft binders? .
I haven't but I will now. That's a good idea. :thumbup: I take way more colors and lures with me than I normally need but imo, it's better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them. :-D
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

I use the zerust 3700 trays for my tackle bag because they are waterproof and they are laid out a little different that might shit you better. I don't store soft plastics in trays though, I keep them in a seperate bag in the original packages.
Old Dog
Site Sponsor

Post by Old Dog »

No trays. I use a large LL Bean soft tackle bag and I either leave my plastics in the packages they came in, or stuff 'em in a quart-size freezer bag according to brand and color and just throw 'em in the tackle bag. I can get a ton of product in my soft bag as Juan can testify.
OD
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Old Dog wrote:No trays. I use a large LL Bean soft tackle bag and I either leave my plastics in the packages they came in, or stuff 'em in a quart-size freezer bag according to brand and color and just throw 'em in the tackle bag. I can get a ton of product in my soft bag as Juan can testify.
OD
A "ton" is an understatement!! :-D Keeping them in their original packages is probably the best way to retain their shape, color and scent and I do that in a separate tackle bag but the trays give me quick access to different lures and jig heads so I don't have to rummage through the bag to find the ones I want. I couldn't find any binders with enough pockets so I rearranged several trays yesterday and got it down to 5 trays with 12 compartments each. I'll have to live with that unless I can find larger trays. :hammer:
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Here's the Albackore. Not sure they are even made anymore. I bought this one years ago from TackleDirect. But there are several other brands of binders out there.
IMG_0623.JPG
IMG_0624.JPG
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Looked at a bunch of the binders yesterday Dave and don't think that they will hold what I want to store. I need some more of these....just bigger:
20200531_073822.jpg
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

:lol: :lol:

Repeat after me, "Minimalist is GOOD, Minimalist is GOOD."
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

I have noticed with the tackle trays that it makes a difference how you store them when it comes to soft plastics. You need to have the baits lying flat / long ways in the compartments when the tray is in your tackle bag. Otherwise, repeated exposure to the long Florida Summer heat will warp your baits and make them twist when they swim.

I have tried tackle bags of all sizes and shapes and have not found one yet with zippers that can withstand salt spray. A couple weeks ago Bass Pro Shops had their yellow boat bags on sale for 30 percent off. I decided to go buy one of those to store all my tackle. Drove to the store only to find none on the shelf. I asked a sales rep if I could purchase the white Offshore Angler bag for the same 30 percent off and was told "No". She said the best thing to do was order the Bass Pro bag on line. So I go on line to find the bags "Unavailable at this time." I gave up.

I am still looking for a water resistant boat bag that is wider than 14 inches if anybody knows where to find one.

- Steve Stinson
Last edited by Steve Stinson on June 1st, 2020, 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Lots of options for waterproof bags in kayak, camping outlets, but most are pricey.

Academy has this one on-line, Steve. Not sure if they have it in stock at the Mahan store.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/geckob ... id=8236577

Here's another option at West Marine:
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/seattle- ... cordNum=84