Strange new grass

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Strange new grass

Post by Redbelly »

I noticed this grass patch just out of the mouth of the Ecofina last fall. My last trip 2 weeks ago i went to that area and was shocked to see how far and wide it has spread!
A buddy was telling me about how it is now everywhere. Its just about impossible to fish it or motor through it.

Anybody know what it is? Its not rock grass or turtle grass.
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
Juan
Site Sponsor

Re: Strange new grass

Post by Juan »

Acapulco Gold ? :-D
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Ha, nice Juan

We saw an unfamiliar new grass in st marks this weekend. It was dark green and kinda looked like long Bermuda grass. Was that the same stuff? I didn’t get a pic
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

Salty that sounds like it. When the tide lowers it floats on the surface creating a mat
Work 2 fish 4 days

1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
Fish Masterson
Site Sponsor

Post by Fish Masterson »

I covered a lot of ground Saturday, and noticed it in quite a few places. It can cling to a trolling motor.
The Liver is EVIL and Must be Punished
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

I disagree on the impossible to fish part. I have been catching some huge trout and reds out of it.

I have seen it just east of the Aucilla stretching to the east and from Hickory Mound all the way to Rock Island. Seems to me like it showed up last Fall, then the Winter didn't get cold enough to kill it.

- Steve Stinson
THOMAS CITY CURVE
Site Sponsor

Post by THOMAS CITY CURVE »

It has came and went around Aucilla for as long as I have been fishing the area. It's usually pretty fishy but I got skunked fishing a big area full of it two weeks ago.
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

Steve Stinson wrote:I disagree on the impossible to fish part. I have been catching some huge trout and reds out of it.

I have seen it just east of the Aucilla stretching to the east and from Hickory Mound all the way to Rock Island. Seems to me like it showed up last Fall, then the Winter didn't get cold enough to kill it.

- Steve Stinson
I agree with you Steve, I’m fishing the mats and finding fish under/around them. Throwing weedless set ups like my bass fishing days. “Punching the mats.”

I’ve noticed while wading for flounder shrimp like the grass and swim in it feeding at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Dog
Site Sponsor

Post by Old Dog »

Groovy!

And is this grass growing in situ, I'm sorry, in place, or did it float in from somewhere else? I like growing grass. So many of the areas I have fished in the last 50 years have lost the grass beds that were once common. Places like St Andrews Bay, East Bay, West Bay, and Apalachicola Bay around creek mouths. When the grass was prevalent the fishing was superb. The fishing is not bad now but it was much better then.
OD
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

we call it "String theory"
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
TroutTrent

Post by TroutTrent »

We call it "Spaghetti Grass"...I know someone who has been catching big trout off of it lately when you could get the fish out of it :smt012
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

That stuff drove me crazy a couple of weeks ago, I was trying to go to a creek out of econfina but of course too thick to motor all the way in, so used the trolling motor which was a super pain as well, it was close to low tide all so, didn’t get much out of it for the work I put in to get thought it, next time I’m gonna stay just enough out to stay clear of it

Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

Well I did hang a big trout but it got wrapped up in that grass and I lost it. You can fish it but its a pain......
Work 2 fish 4 days

1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

A fella that fishes Ecofina told me it is an invasive grass brought in from ships.....IDK
Work 2 fish 4 days

1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Redbelly wrote:A fella that fishes Ecofina told me it is an invasive grass brought in from ships.....IDK
Been catching any fish lately?Not been to Ecofina in a while.