Carpet in a G3 Boat

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

homboyfsu

Carpet in a G3 Boat

Post by homboyfsu »

I am going to put carpet in my boat any suggestions on types and glue? Also, included any good or bad carpets or glues?
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Carpet in a G3 Boat

Post by Salty Gator »

homboyfsu wrote:I am going to put carpet in my boat any suggestions on types and glue? Also, included any good or bad carpets or glues?

I can’t help you on carpet homeboy, but if it is for a saltwater boat, have you considered the knock off “line x” or sea dek? My fishing buddy did the floor of his jon boat with a “faux teakwood” roll on deck liner. It adds a nice cushion and doesn’t hold sand. It comes in a roll with an adhesive ready to roll on. Looks good and really nice to stand on. Forum member BBB tricked his boat out nicely with a similar material I’m referencing. You could probably ask him what he used ......The other thing you can do is the knock off line x, but I don’t think it holds up as well or nearly as comfortable to stand on. Good luck buddy
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
homboyfsu

Post by homboyfsu »

Thanks didn't even consider this option.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Agree with SG, I would not re-install carpet in a saltwater environment. Salt, sand and mold are likely to collect, leading to corrosion, added weight and general nastiness.

Sea-Dek is the major brand name brand of the synthetic alternate material and often more expensive. Several other brands are now available. I've had it on my skiff for 2+ years and it has held up well and is easy to clean. It's definitely better for your application. :thumbup:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
flatsbroke22

Carpet in a G3 Boat

Post by flatsbroke22 »

I SeaDek’ed my entire jon boat with the sheet material. In the floor I put 1” thick closed cell styrofoam in between the ribs to level the floor and to dampen the noise. If you can wait till thanksgiving they always run a special on the sheet at half price.ImageImage
2002 Pathfinder 2200v ‘21 200 Suzuki
STMU

Post by STMU »

I agree, carpet will get nasty quick. I had a friend who wanted the seadek look for his boat but didn't want to pay the crazy price. He used those yoga/kid's mat that snaps together like puzzle pieces. Been on his boat for 3 years now and holding up just fine.

I would also be careful with a spray-in bed liner. Depending on who you go with, you could get a bad result. Sometimes they are really slick when wet if they don't put enough grip material. Also, if not properly installed they peel up in huge chunks as opposed to flakes. Hot spray is the way to go if you get it done, and only a few places will do that. I used interlux non-skid paint on my boat, as it was cheaper than paying someone to spray and has held up great for 5 years (I also think it looks better). I also used kiwi grip on the bow for extra traction. They use that stuff in sailboats and its sort of like the marine version of a truck bed liner. I only needed a one quart size can for my boat, so again...way cheaper than a spray-in liner. Kiwi grip is pretty nice in that it is a one-part compound, as opposed to the two-part spray in liner. Meaning the paint itself is the grip, so it won't ever separate like bed liners can do over time, and if it does start to lose its grip through normal wear and tear you just have to sand it and reapply right on top of the old paint. I've had mine 5 years and fish at least once a week and am just now getting to the point of considering putting on a second coat. If you do a liner you have to strip the whole thing down again. I don't know how to post pics, but I can text/email you some if you want to see how it looks.
flatsbroke22

Post by flatsbroke22 »

SeaDek sheet material is 30% off during 6 11-14

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2002 Pathfinder 2200v ‘21 200 Suzuki
Unwound

Post by Unwound »

homboyfsu wrote:I am going to put carpet in my boat any suggestions on types and glue? Also, included any good or bad carpets or glues?
Any specific reason why you want to install carpet? I generally don't like it and have removed it from one of my old boats. But maybe I just had cheap quality carpet. Regardless, I'm not a fan for my boats.
homboyfsu

Post by homboyfsu »

I was getting some comments on the best options to muffle the noise on my boat and make it look better. Thanks, everyone who commented.
Fish Masterson
Site Sponsor

Post by Fish Masterson »

I used regular indoor outdoor from lowes and used the carpet glue from there as well. It's held up nicely and can't remember for sure how many years ago i did it, but its been quite a few. I wouldn't recommend if you don't have a shed or something to park under though.
Birds eye view from earlier this week.
Attachments
20200714_131644_resized.jpg
The Liver is EVIL and Must be Punished
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

Looks clean!

Fish Masterson
Site Sponsor

Post by Fish Masterson »

Thanks, she looks better covered in slime and blood though.
Fish Masterson
Site Sponsor

Post by Fish Masterson »

Double post
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

Fish Masterson wrote:Thanks, she looks better covered in slime and blood though.
No doubt about it!

ropeman

Post by ropeman »

Salty Gator wrote:Forum member BBB tricked his boat out nicely with a similar material I’m referencing. You could probably ask him what he used ......
He used Black Tip, and I got the extra pieces from him. I like it and it's been on my boat for almost a year now. Much better than carpet IMHO.