New Kawasaki Fat Tire bicycle help

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

BloodyChamp

New Kawasaki Fat Tire bicycle help

Post by BloodyChamp »

I did what I said I was going to do in the Aucilla River thread! It cost to much money but I deserved it I think, especially when you factor in a few other things that are a long story.

I’m going to need to do something about the seat though. An afternoon ride almost killed my behind. Then I got on it again tonight and flat out couldn’t do it. Putting my caboose on that seat again was the equivalent of putting your feet on hot sand again after doing it once or something. It didn’t hurt as much as it felt unnatural and psychology I couldn’t do it. I had to lift up before all my weight even went down similar to how you would pull your foot away from the sand if you knew it was hot, and as you felt the heat the closer you got.

So do I need a new seat or do I need some of those padded bike shorts? Or both? Can I get the cheap shorts or does it have to be the $100 ones to make a difference?

I don’t know to many people who ride bikes. The 1 person I know is younger than us and laughed because he’s still made of steel from head to toe.
Juan
Site Sponsor

Re: New Kawasaki Fat Tire bicycle help

Post by Juan »

Fat tire bikes are different but up until my knee replacement a bit over a year ago, I was riding my road bike 100 miles a week (weather permitting) and I'm no spring chicken. My advice would be get a new padded and wider seat and save your money on the bike shorts. They don't help much and a grown man in spandex just ain't right. :lol:
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

This was a bust lol! Been trying and trying and comfort aside, the things is a whopping 2 inches to high. I absolutely can’t get off of it without laying it down, and if I do that enough times I’ll land wrong and have a whole other set of problems.

I’m not going to work tomorrow and I’m walking down that trail to get where I want to get ftw.
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

There are plenty of aftermarket seat options that will be a huge improvement, and also the padded shorts will help a LOT.
There are mountain biking shorts that are padded, so you're not wearing spandex, and look normal.
All photos copyright @saverymill
Danibeth

Post by Danibeth »

When I was using my bike to hunt ducks and was dragging a trailer behind me, my bike had a nice wide, heavily padded seat. I never had seat issues and we rode several miles each way, sometimes in sugar sand, sometimes it was nasty sloggy mud that when wet is worse than tar and sometimes it was nice hard packed, easy riding grass. My legs sometimes burned but my butt was never sore with the seat I had.
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Problem may be not so much the seat itself, but that it is too high. If you can't get off the bike without laying it down, either the frame is too big or the seatpost is set too high. Either condition spells pain for your arse.

Now, to put things in perspective...

True (verified) story came out two weeks ago regarding a teenage girl from India who brought her dad back home from a remote worksite over 300 miles away. He could not afford bus fare back and had a severe leg injury, so she pedaled them both the whole way home on hilly roads, with dad on the seat and her off the seat, stomping on the pedals the entire trip, over 50 miles a day. Cheap single speed bike, and only food came from kind strangers along the road. She said what kept her going was desire to get the family back together again.

Word got out, and India's premier professional cycling team promptly offered her a spot on the women's squad.

I will never again complain about the mildly annoying ruts, sand, and bugs I encounter while biking the pancake flat 6 miles of the Deep Creek levee.