St MARK’S Friday 6/17

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

leesburgga

St MARK’S Friday 6/17

Post by leesburgga »

Made it down Friday morning at 9:00. Started out on the west flats and caught several shorts but no keepers. Moved to east flats and continued with shorts. Kept moving east until we finally found some keepers. Ended up with 7 keepers which we caught on three drifts in the same place within less than 90 minutes. Probably caught 50 fish total. Enjoyed the day with my son.

One other thing-did reel this one in. As we all know, many predators roam the flats and trout are far from the top of the food chain. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kenfly

Re: St MARK’S Friday 6/17

Post by kenfly »

Wow, looks like that one would have been a keeper but something robbed ya, good day out , how Far East did you have to go to find some good ones?

Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

That water looks pretty dark. I fished out of Econfina last Saturday and ran from Rock Island to the Aucilla and found the water dark as strong coffee. Did you see any clearer water over toward St. Marks?

Thanks - Steve Stinson
Mckayaker

Post by Mckayaker »

Was out St. Marks Sunday and found some clearer water a bit southwest of Black rock in about 5 feet where we were using sabiki to catch pinfish. Never did find the trout. Tried fishing in six to eight feet where the water was darker. Moved back shallower but didn’t find the clear water again.

leonreno

Post by leonreno »

More than likely you had bluefish in the area of that trout. We got into some trout one time and all of a sudden everyone we reeled in was only half there, then we caught a bluefish, made sense then. They are very aggressive when feeding.
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Steve Stinson wrote:That water looks pretty dark. I fished out of Econfina last Saturday and ran from Rock Island to the Aucilla and found the water dark as strong coffee. Did you see any clearer water over toward St. Marks?

Thanks - Steve Stinson
When I was down Friday it was dark near the lighthouse and was clear west of grey mare for the most part.
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

East of Grey Mare the water is stained, but clear.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
All photos copyright @saverymill
leesburgga

Post by leesburgga »

We went all the way to in front of Aucilla Friday fishing 4-6 feet and never found clearer water.

Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Thanks for all the replies. I am tired of fishing the extremely dark water over toward Econfina and looking for somewhere else to go until it clears up some. :thumbup: - Steve Stinson
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

Doesnt Keaton stay clear during periods of rain?
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

I fished St. Marks yesterday and it was reasonably clear. Actually, very clear compared to the Econfina area. If you pushed all the way up into the shoreline creeks between Black Rock and Grey Mare Rock the water was the color of iced tea. The creeks still had fish in them. We caught a red, a flounder, and two nice sized trout in the creeks then backed off to deeper water and finished out our limit by about 1 or 2 in the afternoon. Also caught a couple more flounder and a couple keeper sea bass.

The rain storms were letting loose after they moved over the heat of the land. We never did get rained on, but it was raining just north of St. Marks when we came back to the ramp in the afternoon. I was in and out of rain on the way home to Monticello and lightning hit a power pole next to my truck as I passed in front of Ted Turners place. It ran down the power line and blew up a transformer before I could hear any sound or even react. I believe if you ever get struck by lightning, you probably will not know it unless you survive and have to heal up.

All in all it was a good day in isolation. Fished with June Maxwell, the same buddy that I fished the JR's Tournament with. We figure if one of us has the virus, the other one does too. So far neither of us is showing symptoms or experiencing a spike in temperature.

Good Fishin' - Steve Stinson
Last edited by Steve Stinson on June 25th, 2020, 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

solid report, thanks Steve! Glad to hear the water clearing up a bit. We've been fishing so much offshore lately that our one or two local trips haven't yielded much... (we get fed up and immediately run out). I haven't run my boat in over a month... hurts. We have certainly put the hours on Milto's boat, though! Running out this weekend Sat/Sun to chase those channel bass.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image