Covid at JR's

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Covid at JR's

Post by Salty Gator »

big bend gyrene wrote:And Steve, hope you saw the NYC data... being old isn't a death sentence nearly as much as being old AND already sick is. The death rate is just so much more dramatic with the elderly as they, naturally, tend to suffer from other aging related diseases.

Pray your Mom is well, and stays well!
Most old people I know do have varying degrees of preexisting conditions. My 80 year old Father in law is at TMH this very moment recovering from a back surgery. I’m not sure I know an 80 year old that doesn’t have a preexisting condition of some kind.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Salty Gator wrote:Most old people I know do have varying degrees of preexisting conditions. My 80 year old Father in law is at TMH this very moment recovering from a back surgery. I’m not sure I know an 80 year old that doesn’t have a preexisting condition of some kind.
Think I made clear / that it's intuitively obvious the elderly by NATURE tend to develop conditions, Salty Gator... painfully aware, as bet everyone on this forum is, that the vast majority will die from one of those developed conditions (diabetes, heart issues, cancer, etc) within a 10 year time frame once they reach 80. Lost 3 of 4 grandparents as well as my own father in their 80s. Maybe the cold-hard-truth Jarhead coming out in me, but none of us are going to be hanging around on this earth forever... NONE of us.

Might not give others pause to totally alter our childrens' lives and cripple an economy in light of the DATA-driven chart below, but does give me pause -- with just about everyone in the working range / key-productive / pre-retirement age groups faring fairly well. Dare say it's children of the elderly (and again I'm in the group) most concerned with trying to lockdown the virus, but be very interesting to see what percent of 80 year-olds think wide-sweeping lockdowns should be done for their sake. Know my own Mom isn't in this camp, and we have quite a few patients in their 80s that are the most outspoken about mask usage /our protective office procedures.
Death Rate Chart.jpg
On that note, said more than my share on a subject that much like politics all the posts in the world likely won't change many / any minds.

So versus more covid talk, here's a pic of a tagged cobia and nice Econ trout Ontiltttttt boated this past week -- his personal best trout to date. :thumbup: :beer:
105484944_10223202001213831_5143790636455215294_o.jpg
104948189_10223202010574065_6265660413408327212_o.jpg
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

What are the gloves for? Sun protection?

I’d like to be able to discuss this without it being political. But I’m not sure that is possible for some
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

Salty Gator wrote:What are the gloves for? Sun protection?

I’d like to be able to discuss this without it being political. But I’m not sure that is possible for some
The mere fact that a contagious illness has become political is a sign of the polarization of America.
All photos copyright @saverymill
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Only spoke to data here, and keeping my word not to debate about covid futher... but Salty in fairness to the fine members of this board, we're 3 pages in and unless I missed it I haven't seen the first reference to politics... until now...

You pulling it in, that's on you. :wink: :lol:

And NOT speaking to covid directly, will say that I felt sorry for Dolphinatic not being able to see his father in the hospital in his dying days (cause of death not covid) nor have a public funeral... only for the same politicians pushing the most draconian measures of all of suddenly being just fine and dandy with limited select funerals. And on that rather heavy note, good luck with not turning things political. :roll:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
STMU

Post by STMU »

Yes, sun protection. I have a couple of pairs. Super lightweight, and I really like them. I buy the $15 pair on amazon and usually get 2 years out of them. BPS and a few others have really high end ones that aren't any better IMO. I started wearing them because I developed a pretty serious hand tan that my wife liked to make fun of, and I realized that it probably wasn't a good sign. Many come with leather or some other fabric on the palm side. I find it unnecessary and hot, plus it's usually the first thing to fall apart.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

big bend gyrene wrote:Only spoke to data here, and keeping my word not to debate about covid futher... but Salty in fairness to the fine members of this board, we're 3 pages in and unless I missed it I haven't seen the first reference to politics... until now...

You pulling it in, that's on you. :wink: :lol:

And NOT speaking to covid directly, will say that I felt sorry for Dolphinatic not being able to see his father in the hospital in his dying days (cause of death not covid) nor have a public funeral... only for the same politicians pushing the most draconian measures of all of suddenly being just fine and dandy with limited select funerals. And on that rather heavy note, good luck with not turning things political. :roll:
I didn’t make it political, I don’t think???
I hadn’t heard the news about Tom’s dad. That is terrible to hear.

I’m certainly not looking for a political debate. I think we are on the same side anyway. I’m ready for things to bet back to normal. I’m hoping like crazy we will have a football season this year. I’m ready to take my wife or staff out to dinner.

What do you think we should do? Keep social distancing/ masks while slowly integrating back? I’m really not looking for a fight, I don’t know what the answer is? What do you think we should do?
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

STMU wrote:
Yes, sun protection. I have a couple of pairs. Super lightweight, and I really like them. I buy the $15 pair on amazon and usually get 2 years out of them. BPS and a few others have really high end ones that aren't any better IMO. I started wearing them because I developed a pretty serious hand tan that my wife liked to make fun of, and I realized that it probably wasn't a good sign. Many come with leather or some other fabric on the palm side. I find it unnecessary and hot, plus it's usually the first thing to fall apart.
Thanks stmu