Shell Point/Live Oak

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Red Beard

Shell Point/Live Oak

Post by Red Beard »

Finally got the trailer weighed at the public dump this morning for my tag, which I also was able to get on the way home from the water. I have to give a thumbs up to the Tax/Tag Office in Crawfordville, they are nice and fast they few times I’ve been in

Back to fishing.. Fished Walker Creek-Goose Creek area. First few cast as I was staring at the grass bottom looking for scallops, I look up at my lure by the boat to see a healthy full grown hammerhead shark. Around 6-7 ft range. Shark swam to the boat turned and kept cruising. Got to admit I was shook for a minute or two, with just having scallops on my mind. But was a sight to see. A boat pulled up and had three swimmers in the water shortly after in that general area. Kept my eyes/ears in that area just in case.

Ended up catching a mixed bag of trout (couple dozen maybe) from shorts-to healthy keepers; I released all trout. Caught a few pinfish/grunts and one sail cat; released. Also managed a 20+” Spanish, it’s on the smoker at the moment.

We heading back to the ramp shortly after with thunder and lightning coming in. All in all a good day for a short trip. To God Be The Glory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Shell Point/Live Oak

Post by silverking »

Thanks for the report. Seeing sharks like that in the shallows is pretty cool, but they do give a person pause about jumping in.

So what's your brining recipe for the smoking the Spanish?
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Red Beard

Shell Point/Live Oak

Post by Red Beard »

silverking wrote: So what's your brining recipe for the smoking the Spanish?
I don’t brine. I have a seasoning I make up and sprinkle a healthy coat on the fish, put on smoker until meat is flaky. Always leave skin and scales on. Low n’ Slow no hotter than 250.

I learned a lot of my fish smoking techniques from working with Tim @ Mineral Springs Seafood in Panacea. I’ll say this, they quit having local mullet smoking competitions because Tim won every year.

So I’m a creature of habit in that regard. We sold out of smoked fish just about every day. Always fresh fish never old smelly stuff I believe that’s the true secret.

FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

I trust Mineral Springs with anything they do. Absolute gem of a crew.

Nice work out there, I spent Sunday morning around the same general area and had a few smaller reds on T-dubs, and a couple trizzies on fried bologna. Bite changed when wind picked up.

Fun zone and VERY diverse creatures over there. Haven't seen a HammySlammy over there yet.. just a few solid bullies.

sent from the Ketchup Packet
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
Red Beard

Shell Point/Live Oak

Post by Red Beard »

FishWithChris wrote:I trust Mineral Springs with anything they do. Absolute gem of a crew.

Nice work out there, I spent Sunday morning around the same general area and had a few smaller reds on T-dubs, and a couple trizzies on fried bologna. Bite changed when wind picked up.

Fun zone and VERY diverse creatures over there. Haven't seen a HammySlammy over there yet.. just a few solid bullies.

We bound to cross paths sooner or later; I’m always keeping an eye for that flying keptchup packet.

silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Red Beard wrote:
silverking wrote: So what's your brining recipe for the smoking the Spanish?
I don’t brine. I have a seasoning I make up and sprinkle a healthy coat on the fish, put on smoker until meat is flaky. Always leave skin and scales on. Low n’ Slow no hotter than 250.

I learned a lot of my fish smoking techniques from working with Tim @ Mineral Springs Seafood in Panacea. I’ll say this, they quit having local mullet smoking competitions because Tim won every year.

So I’m a creature of habit in that regard. We sold out of smoked fish just about every day. Always fresh fish never old smelly stuff I believe that’s the true secret.

:thumbup: :lick:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

FishWithChris wrote:I trust Mineral Springs with anything they do. Absolute gem of a crew.

Wtf?
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

SG, don't you know FWC is the master of subterfuge by now? STAR tournament starts tomorrow. :lol:
Red Beard

Shell Point/Live Oak

Post by Red Beard »

Salty Gator wrote:

Wtf?
If you know you know, and if you ain’t you can’t. Same state different shape,
Same name different state. Ha ha

Y’all enjoy the STAR Tournament. I’m not able to participate in the reindeer games.

Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

silverking wrote:SG, don't you know FWC is the master of subterfuge by now? STAR tournament starts tomorrow. :lol:
Through context I believe I know what a t dub is and maybe a trizzie. I know what fried bologna is, not sure how it applies. I guess inside jokes are funnier if you are in on them . Seemed easier to type tw and trout, but to each his own
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

Topwater, trout, soft plastic color, hammerhead, bull shark... c'mon SG.

Just be thankful its not tournament season :D

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

FishWithChris wrote:Topwater, trout, soft plastic color, hammerhead, bull shark... c'mon SG.

Just be thankful its not tournament season :D

There is a soft plastic color called fried bologna? Who makes it, I definitely need a pack.

I’ll try to keep up Chris
slow motion

Post by slow motion »

Pretty sure I will never be a good enough fisherman to need to use code but it was fun to try and solve the riddle. I had hammerhead but guessed tripletail on trizzie. Never would have gotten bull or plastic color.