What was the most trophies you’d lost in a day?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

BloodyChamp

What was the most trophies you’d lost in a day?

Post by BloodyChamp »

Ya’ll aren’t going to believe this and I mean you really literally aren’t going to believe it, and call straight bee ess but this happened to me today. I lost 2 wall hanger bass that I know of for sure, plus 1 more depending on what side you’re on in a certain subjective instance. He chomped the end of my plastic worm tail which didn’t break very easily, and allowed me to see him as I pulled him into the 1 bit of sunshine before it broke and he was gone. Then there were others that I hooked but never saw! I never saw any Blackfish but I did see some Gar, and I thought that was what was happening until I caught 1 of the 2 bass I landed (the other 1 was down river on a bream lure that I wrote off as luck). So after I caught the other on the plastic worm I suspected that they were all bass and I decided I was just going to let the next ones flat out eat it. That allowed me to hook the 2 I hooked good enough to get to the boat before they got off. Dang dang dang!!!

What kind of an idiot lets that happen right lol well the only bright colored plastic worms I had were, of all things, some 10 inch Creme Ribbon tails with a bright green tail and brown body. They either just wanted that tail or didn’t see the body. And these were 10 inchers no the normal 7.5 inchers. I’d bought them from the local tackle shop here that didn’t have anything else bright, after I’d used my pack of bright Powerbaits that was years old on my Aucilla trip I was bragging about earlier this year (hint this wasn’t the Aucilla).

I bought every kind of plastic worm there was when I was a youngun and still have some of them, so I swore I was using them all first before I bought anymore. Then the Aucilla trip happened, and when I ran out of those bright ones they didn’t bite anything else. That’s why I didn’t go ahead and switch today but you better believe I’m about to go find the brightest Powerbaits or Culprits I can and go back lol!

To answer the question if all of those I hung were bass then...I don’t even want to drop a number lol it would sound like such a lie. Besides I lost count!
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: What was the most trophies you’d lost in a day?

Post by silverking »

This is just a tall tale without photos. :lol:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

I can’t take pics of fish I didn’t catch lol! But here are the ones I caught, and the dang worm minus his tale :bang_1 :hammer: :thumbdown:

Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

silverking wrote:This is just a tall tale without photos. :lol:

And gps numbers!! :-D
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

I went to the other small tackle shop that’s all but out of business today and scored 2 packs of bright Culprits that have been discontinued lol whew! And I impulse bought a pack of the old Zoom worms from Ebay last night.

So of course we all know what will happen next. I will go back fully prepared, fully aware and...not get a bite lol!
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

That's a big redbelly! Sammich sized :D
J Holden

Post by J Holden »

Them look like upper St Marks bass :lick:
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

For me, it was not numbers, but quality...

Twenty years ago, I encountered a once in a lifetime amazing snook, but she got away, mostly because I panicked and messed up. Fortunately, the quality ones sometimes revisit their old haunts. A year later, I got a rare, unexpected chance for another hookup. This time, I vowed my trophy would not get away.

I married Vicky Galano on January 13, 2001. Nothing I have caught since comes close.

Yep, my nickname for her really is "Snook." She can call me whatever she wants.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

ALL of the fish that get away from me are trophies....Isn't that the fisherman's creed? :-D :thumbup:
Mckayaker

Post by Mckayaker »

First dip in salt for my new tandem kayak, my son and I went out to the oyster bars of Wakulla beach back in May. I was tossing a gulp next to a bar. My son points in the water and there sits a bull red at least three feet long. With my gulp in its mouth. The fish looks at us for a second and then takes off under the yak stripping line like I’ve never seen before. I never got a chance to put any pressure on it. And then it was gone. I reeled in my line, which took a while after the run. Lure was still there. That fish was going fast enough that all it had to do was stop and open its mouth and the lure would have come out from momentum alone. Sure makes you want to tackle up and go back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

Just tried them again and what a bust it was. I did hang 2 but I never saw them. Had to have been Gar or Black Attacks. It had flooded down there and not at my house apparently. The water was milky on the sides and dark in the middle but not the fishy looking smooth dark you want. And that woke the mosquitoes back up holy $&@“ did it wake them back up. I didn’t even go any further once I’d fished the same spot. I had to get out of there lol! I shouldn’t have went but it’s possible I won’t get to go any next week so I went ahead.

The good news is I still have this weekend and the rest of the bassy looking water. As long as it doesn’t RAIN I’ll get um.
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

Went back today and just continued downstream from where I’d slid the boat in and made the paddle to where I’d originally planned to, and didn’t even bother the bass upstream this time. The bad news is that I didn’t even get a bite besides Gar and Black Attacks, and there was plenty of bassy water left before it went to swamp again. I hope I didn’t blow it the other day on a once in a lifetime day where the wise old swamp bass were in a feeding frenzy. The good news is a tough chunk of paddling is off the bucket list.

If I haven’t caught a big by the end of summer I’m going to be tempted to go back up there with a wiggler and a bass hook. Make no mistake, THAT will always catch a big bass lol ugh...I’d never forgive myself if he swallowed it though.
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

I went back today where I went last summer, that I’ve referred to many times as my father’s old bass hole. This is way downriver where it first opens up pretty wide and stays that way, the bridge, Horn Spring etc. I lost a pretty big bass because apparently that’s what I do now. Not 15lbs or anything but more than a few lbs. I caught probably 20 10inchers, a giant Redbreast and 10 or so normal Redbreasts.

I’m a little shook at what I saw though. The spring looks like it’s doing great but the river is dirty and really low. Last year I was catching Stumpknockers, and I mean fat ones, and Bluebream off of the sides and Redbreast out of the middles. The Stumpknockers and Bluebream were gone, along with the water. With all the rain we’ve had, and all of the water still backed up in the upper part of the river and every swamp and creek in between, there should have been much more water. This was Wacissa River looking nonsense that just didn’t add up. Maybe I’m overreacting or something but it was also clear last year with more water. Now it’s dirty without water. It was clear and low in March, March of course being very dry so I figured clear and low water was normal and once we got rain the cycle would restart.
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

Now here’s a beaut of a story...had 20 mullet in front of me today from the time my chum hit the water until the time I left (dark lol) and somewhere in the middle I had 40. Didn’t catch a dang 1 lol! I was wading and couldn’t throw the net well in the water and couldn’t get a good set when I resorted to snatching. This happened almost by accident but I’m going back with the boat tomorrow. They’re usually skiddish of the boat in this spot but they’ve attacked the chum 2 evenings in a row. The “accident” was Friday when I rode down there just to take a dip late and threw the chum in just because.
Double Naught
Site Sponsor

Post by Double Naught »

BC have you tried to get them to bite?

Mullet that swarm chum will often bite on a gold hook if the bait is right. I grew up downstate a ways catching mullet this way in brackish water. It was a lot of fun.