SGI inshore

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Srbenda

SGI inshore

Post by Srbenda »

Been fishing SGI this week with little success.
We've caught trout, bluefish, and sailcats, but with no consistency. Despite fishing docks and structure with aqudream spoons, fresh crab chunks, and topwater, no redfish have bit us yet.

We've drifted both the Sikes Cut and the West Pass with live pins and live crabs, and got sharked once, but we are marking lots of fish. We might be struggling with getting our baits into the fish zone, but I'm not sure.

Offshore has been a bust due to the wind, and even inshore has been tough a few afternoons with 15mph+ winds.
We did troll the beach for about an hour yesterday, but it wasn't easy in 2-3' swells. How deep should we be for kings along the beach?

The weather does look better thru the rest of the week, so I'm hopeful we'll get out deep.
All photos copyright @saverymill
luckywsp

Re: SGI inshore

Post by luckywsp »

Have you been stopping at crab trap floats and the like looking for triple tail? They usually haunt that area.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Boy, that comment sounds vaguely familiar. :wink:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

silverking wrote:Boy, that comment sounds vaguely familiar. :wink:
I will strongly consider this option coming from such a heralded source

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

silverking wrote:Boy, that comment sounds vaguely familiar. :wink:
I will strongly consider this option coming from such a heralded source

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

I have fished that area a lot in the last few years. April, May and about 1/2 of June are usually pretty good for Reds and trout. October and November too. However, July and August pretty much suck. You have about an hour to fish before the sun comes up and hits the water. After that go home.

This does not apply to Trippletails. Lots of those tasty rascals around, starting at the bridge to SGI and west from there. Seems like a tower boat would be ideal for that. lol

Good luck.....it's still WAY better than being at work like the rest of us. :thumbup:
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
GusMccrae

Post by GusMccrae »

does anyone have any success north of the bridge between Eastpoint and Apalach? Just looking out over all the grass and backwater, looks like it would hold a lot of fish, especially in cooler months?
Pirate

Post by Pirate »

SGI area has been really slow all year. The wind started blowing the second week of April and has been consistent since then. the days that have been calm have been few and far between. We have caught some fish but have had to work really hard for them. Just a tough year all the way around. Enjoy your time.
People that catch a lot of fish fish a lot!
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

Managed some beachfront trolling today, saw birds working bait schools, and got 3 nice Spanish, with the largest measuring 21". Attempted to head out to the SGI Bridge rubble, which was the closest in structure, but got run off by a thunderstorm before we could wet a line.

Hoping that this TS heads east, so I have a shot at AJ's on Saturday on the boat ride back.
flatsbroke22

Post by flatsbroke22 »

GusMccrae wrote:does anyone have any success north of the bridge between Eastpoint and Apalach? Just looking out over all the grass and backwater, looks like it would hold a lot of fish, especially in cooler months?

That area holds a lot of fish but can be very hard to navigate. It’s very shallow but there are ways to get around. Google earth will help but still be careful. The good thing is the bottom is mostly sand/mud. I hired a guide to captain my boat so I could save the tract lines on my gps but when I swapped units the tracts didn’t transfer for some reason :bang_1
2002 Pathfinder 2200v ‘21 200 Suzuki
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

Fished again this morning, starting before sunrise. Checked all the crab traps we saw, but saw no T-3's. Worked some shoreline with a spoon an topwater, and lost a big red, and landed an underslot red.

Tide went slack, and so did the bite...
Greenbone
Site Sponsor

Post by Greenbone »

I’ve done well on reds east of Carrabelle River along 98. With and without pop’n cork . 2-4’ feet right along grass line.
Good luck !
dropaline

Post by dropaline »

Is sgi St george sound? If not where is it?
flatsbroke22

Post by flatsbroke22 »

dropaline wrote:Is sgi St george sound? If not where is it?

SGI is St. George Island. The area from Apalachicola to Alligator Point is St. George Sound.
2002 Pathfinder 2200v ‘21 200 Suzuki
dropaline

Post by dropaline »

flatsbroke22 wrote:
dropaline wrote:Is sgi St george sound? If not where is it?

SGI is St. George Island. The area from Apalachicola to Alligator Point is St. George Sound.
Thank You!!