St Marks weekend -- tough fishing

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

geofish

St Marks weekend -- tough fishing

Post by geofish »

Not much luck this weekend. Wind blowing whitecaps on the flats. Went to the Rock Garden at first light on Saturday, nothing biting. Drifted out from 2 feet to 8 feet -- nada. Used shrimp, gulps, z-man chatterbait, and a live pinfish. Zip. Some boats were bunched up on the shallow flats southeast of the lighthouse, but whatever they were catching evaded me.
Went out again Sunday morning with my fishing buddy who usually catches fish on the long bar by the lighthouse. One small red, 3 small trout, and a few BSB. Might have to turn in my fishing license if I keep getting skunked like this.
Here's hoping for some calm days on the flats, and some good weather for the snapper weekends.
Juan
Site Sponsor

Re: St Marks weekend -- tough fishing

Post by Juan »

Good report. :thumbup: If we caught em every time we went out, it wouldn't be any fun.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
ugadawg
Site Sponsor

Post by ugadawg »

It was a tough weekend for us as well. We started out on the west flats where the water looked like my coffee and seemed to have the same number of fish as my coffee too (that is...0). We then moved out in front of the lighthouse where I caught some fish a few weeks ago. Picked up a 21" red and a 17" trout on the first drift, and then just shorts and catfish after that. After a while we went and tried an oyster bar and cause a 17.75 " red. Finally headed out toward the rock garden and picked up a 16.5" trout and were catching 14" trout pretty regularly, but by then the tide had turned and it was time to go home. I think if we had started out toward the rock garden and found some clearer water then we would have done better.
tailwaters

Post by tailwaters »

We made a quick morning trip down to SM Saturday. Fished for about 3 hours up in the marsh. I landed 11 or 12 healthy trout while my fishing buddy got 2 decent reds, a 16" flounder and a couple trout too. All on artificial and everything released except the flounder.
Last edited by tailwaters on October 5th, 2020, 1:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

geofish wrote:Might have to turn in my fishing license if I keep getting skunked like this.
Here's hoping for some calm days on the flats, and some good weather for the snapper weekends.
I feel the same way. Last weekend only one keeper this weekend none. We did catch the trifecta of trash fish Saturday afternoon near Palmetto Is and then Sunday near the Cobb.
Mckayaker

Post by Mckayaker »

What species make up the trash trifecta?
Lizard fish, hardheaded cats, and puffer fish? I don’t consider those that make good live or cut bait as true trash fish, so that takes pin fish, ladyfish and such off the list (they’re all off the table for me).

Hound fish, needlefish and remora would be my second guess at the trifecta. Toadfish are in a category all there own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

We went Sat. east of lighthouse. Since it was blowing , we fished mouth of a creek and the creek. Results were one gaftail on a spoon and one slightly over slot red on the fly (dark borski slider). Water was dark I thought. Saw only one mullet between us. No bait, no fish it seemed.
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

Mckayaker wrote:What species make up the trash trifecta?
I guess any three that don't make good bait like you mentioned. Remora was first on Saturday, then a hard head cat, then a ladyfish. On Sunday a bonnet head shark made 4 species for the weekend. I did get one 13.5" trout so that was a little hope.
Badfish

Post by Badfish »

We went to the West flats Saturday and Sunday with a boatload of kids. Throwing gulp and jigs produced a few small trout and a couple keepers. Despite the wind, I threw a topwater and had some really nice trout blow up on it but they weren't aggressive at all. Total tally for the weekend, 5 trout and 1 slot red.