Limited Out on Red Snapper in November

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

John21:6

Post by John21:6 »

Last Friday, the four of us on the boat needed to limit out on red snapper when we fished out of Carrabelle. My freezer at home was empty of fish. Because the seasons had been so limited in the past, I wasn’t really sure where the fish would be in November, but I figured the fish would be in shallower water than they are in during the summer.

Our first stop was in about 50’ where we caught bait, hardtails, pinfish, and pigfish. Our first spot for targeting snapper was in a little over 70’. The sonar showed fish all over, but we were catching mostly red grouper and small red snapper. The underwater camera that I lowered on a fishing line confirmed that the spot held red snapper, lane snapper, mangrove snapper, red grouper, and scamp, but the red grouper would beat all the other fish to our baits. Here’s what it looked like on the bottom:

Video https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/8vgekcm ... ar2gf&dl=0

[/IMG]ImageImageImage

We continued trying spots further and further to the south. We continued to catch red grouper and other species including amberjack. When we finally found the red snapper, the sonar showed them holding 20-30 off the bottom, and catching them was quick and easy. We caught the fish on live and frozen bait and a Nomad Squidtrex lure. We limited out in minutes.

On the way in, we stopped in shallower water south of Dog Island in hopes of catching hogfish on shrimp like they do in the YouTube videos from the Tampa area. We ended up catching grunts and gag grouper. If you have tips on catching hogfish on a hook please share them or pm me.

Anyway, I've got a little fish in the freezer now.
ImageImageImageImage
Last edited by John21:6 on November 16th, 2023, 2:34 pm, edited 11 times in total.
geofish

Re: Limited Out on Red Snapper in November

Post by geofish »

That's really cool. Great report and great pix. What kind of underwater camera do you use?
John21:6

Post by John21:6 »

geofish wrote:That's really cool. Great report and great pix. What kind of underwater camera do you use?
I use a $40 knock-off GoPro camera from Amazon. The advertisement for the camera indicates that it is waterproof to 40 meters or 131’. Obviously, my underwriter tripod is a homemade creation. The camera can take still shots or videos, but I usually post still shots from videos of instead of videos because I am technologically challenged.

See my post titled "What Does a Good Red Grouper/Red Snapper Hole Look Like?" for more info on my camera and how I use it: viewtopic.php?t=45522

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk