Feedback for legitimate recommendation to FWC (reef fish)

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

boomhauer

Feedback for legitimate recommendation to FWC (reef fish)

Post by boomhauer »

Hello all,
I’m looking for some feedback on a proposal I’m trying to get to FWC brass and Gulf council.

Basically, it involves an optional liscence for saltwater that mainly deals with our reef fish regulations.

It would be for anglers more interested in the experience and more opportunity rather than stuffing the cooler.

The optional liscence would include the following:

1) AJ, Gag grouper, red grouper, red snapper are managed as a unit/group.

2) optional liscence would include a 9 month season, April through December.

3) 7 of those months, the angler could keep 1 reef fish (legal size from the group) per day.

4) the remaining 2 months would have the limit at two fish , any combination …. The 2 months could be chosen as spring (April, May) summer (June, July) or fall (oct, nov) etc depending on family, work considerations

This accomplishes mult benefits: it obviously cuts way down on bycatch as all 4 fish are available, so no releasing RS to die while trying to catch a gag.
It would spread out fishing pressure and opportunity so anglers aren’t risking going out in bad weather
It increases opportunity days.
It would be better economically for businesses

I am recommending this be offered as a pilot option.
It wouldn’t be for everyone. It decreases your “potential” max harvest by half as a concession for more opportunity. It also allows more customization.

Thanks for the feedback
John21:6

Re: Feedback for legitimate recommendation to FWC (reef fish)

Post by John21:6 »

I fear that if you limit a person to one gag or one red snapper, more small ones will be released to die or eaten by sharks and porpoise as people hold out for a big one.
edif

Post by edif »

i feel we are regulated and limited to death any further limits should be put on commercial side heck you bout need a Philadelphia lawyer to consult before a fishing trip to see if you are legal ...imo
illinoisfisherman
Site Sponsor

Post by illinoisfisherman »

No more regulation. It’s about insane now.

Reduce or eliminate commercial fishing for five years. That will make a big difference.
boomhauer

Post by boomhauer »

Thanks for the feedback….
I agree with the problems with regulation for sure….
I’ve lived my whole life in Florida, fishing and diving the whole time….

This is really a compromise to be able to bring home a fish dinner or two most of the year…..if you eat the ribs, backs , throats, fillets and cheeks off a nice grouper…. You are in business.

Who’s going offshore in August.? No one
Bad for businesses….

This would just be an optional liscence ….
Not required….
I understand it’s not for everyone….

I do believe success would go up as you aren’t trying to catch one species, but not the other 3 that live on the same reef.

BTW , we mostly dive, so no bycatch 😎
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

I get a lot of "reef specie" anglers in the shop. The biggest "beef" I hear this season is the split season of Grouper and Snapper. Regardless of the length of the season or the bag limits, Grouper and Red Snapper should run concurrently.
illinoisfisherman
Site Sponsor

I don’t know what the answer is but something has to be done. Not many people are going out any more. Coastal communities that rely on recreational fishing are hurting.
John21:6

Post by John21:6 »

I don't think sensible fishing regulations can exist if NOAA Fisheries is underestimating fish populations and overestimating catch rates. See Bob McNally, OutdoorLife, NOAA Says It Has Been Overestimating Recreational Saltwater Catch By 30 to 40 Percent (Sept. 14, 2023), https://www.outdoorlife.com/conservatio ... atch-data/ and The Great Red Snapper Count Report is Here, HARTE Research Institute, https://www.harteresearch.org/snapperco ... f%20Mexico (showing that there are three times more red snapper than previous federal estimates).

Based on my experiences over the last few months, there is no shortage of red snapper or red grouper in the Big Bend Area. However, the season for gag grouper was too short for me to have an opinion on the local gag population. Nonetheless, we caught and released at least 5 last week when targeting other species.
boomhauer

Post by boomhauer »

Thanks for feedback.
As a diver, I can tell you without a doubt, nearly every structure, natural or artificial, from dog island to st marks, is covered up with gags….
In 12 years diving the area, I’ve never seen so many. Also, all age classes are represented.
Spots where I’d never seen keeper gags are loaded.
35ft out to 70…. Doesn’t matter.
I’ll even give the gulf council props for the 2 fish per day limit…. I think it’s the right number.
None of it makes sense….
More fish than in 15 years and we are told gag are in crisis.
😡
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Tag system
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
edif

Post by edif »

you gotta remember the same people counting the bear population are the ones counting the fish population...there i said it !!
illinoisfisherman
Site Sponsor

A tag system may have to be the answer, with any fish you catch first to be kept and tagged. No 1/2” short fish to be fed to the sharks and barracuda when released. Season closed only when spawning is occurring.

And a Merry Christmas to all