Carrabelle Offshore On March 20

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

John21:6

Carrabelle Offshore On March 20

Post by John21:6 »

I went offshore fishing yesterday out of Carrabelle with three goals--put my friends on red grouper, figure out how to use my new ike jime tools, and take underwater videos. We accomplished the first goal. My friends put a few nice red grouper in the cooler and we released a few large red snapper, too.

Most of us were mostly fishing with live and dead bait. However, the guy who was responsible for the largest red grouper and the second largest red snapper was fishing with slow pitch jigs exclusively. These jigs, he says are “100% guaranteed” to catch big fish. Unfortunately, these jigs are very expensive. When a big fish broke his line tears nearly started falling. I don’t remember what color the jig was, but it must’ve been gold plated and extra extra sparkly.

While I've been too busy at work to fish, I found a little time to learn about the Japanese fish handling techniques of ike jime, shinkei jime, and chinuki. These procedures are supposed work together to quickly dispatch a caught fish and improve its taste and texture.

The process starts with ike jime, which involves sticking a fish in the brain with something like an ice pick. This stops the brain from producing substances like adrenaline which harms the flesh and encourages muscle activities which also harm the flesh. Shinkei jime involves the destruction of the fish's spinal chord, the nerve running atop the spinal column, by running a piece of wire through it from head to tail or tail to head. Shenkei jime is supposed to stop the muscles from producing lactic acid and from consuming ATP, an energy source, and slow the onset of rigor mortis. When rigor mortis quickly occurs within the delicate flesh of fish, the muscles contract quickly in a way that causes the muscles to tear the flesh. Chinuki is bleeding the fish in a bucket or while spraying it with water from the raw water washdown hose. Apparently, a fish's heart will beat for a few minutes after its brain is spiked and its spinal cord destroyed. It seems that most recommend that the membrane behind a fish's gills be cut to bleed the fish, but some cut the gills or the throat. Bacteria grows quickly in blood and is responsible for some of that fishy smell.

Anyway, I couldn't figure out how to run the wire from the fish's brain and into its spinal cord. (The people on the internet make it seem so easy.) I'll try again next time. Because I was so focused on ike jime and fishing, I didn't have a chance to drop the underwater camera down for more pictures and videos from the bottom. I'll have some next time.
Last edited by John21:6 on March 21st, 2024, 3:44 pm, edited 6 times in total.
doomtrpr_z71

Re: Carrabelle Offshore On March 20

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

I have some of those jigs myself, ordering them direct from Japan is much cheaper.

Ike jime is intriguing to me but I've heard it wasn't worth the work.

I wish my red grouper had been that good!

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

boomhauer

Post by boomhauer »

When we spear a fish in the brain or spine, the fish gets floppy ….. interestingly, it never firms up, even when iced… makes it harder to clean…
John21:6

Post by John21:6 »

boomhauer wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 11:20 am When we spear a fish in the brain or spine, the fish gets floppy ….. interestingly, it never firms up, even when iced… makes it harder to clean…
I’ve tried to read as much as I can about the ike jime process and why and how it is supposed to improve the taste and texture of fish. The floppiness of the fish, according to the “experts”online is evidence that the process of rigor mortis has been slowed down. Rigor mortis occurs as the muscles tighten as they consume adenosine triphosphate (ATP) which is an energy source. Because fish flesh is so delicate, the experts say that slowing rigor mortis prevents rapid contraction of muscles which can tear and soften the flesh. The retention of ATP in the flesh will cause it to degrade into some substance that improves the taste of fish. I hate to think about how floppiness will make fish cleaning more difficult, but I’m not ready to give up on figuring out the ike jime process for now. I’ll be sure to bring a good fish cleaning buddy on the next trip.