Successful 2024

For all your hunting related posts! If we get enough traffic here there will be other sub forums: Turkey Hunting, Deer Hunting, Duck Hunting...

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

TOWM

Successful 2024

Post by TOWM »

I finally had a successful turkey hunt. I set out this morning less than optimistic given the thick fog and warm, humid conditions. That and the fact I had not heard a single turkey all season. Shortly after sunrise I did some soft tree yelping from my first spot. After 15 minutes I was moving to another spot when I heard a gobble! I thought it was behind me, so I headed in the opposite direction. The next gobble gave me no doubt where the Tom was roosting, so I closed the distance and setup next to a cypress pond and clearing. After a few minutes I could tell the Tom had flown down. He flew down on the other side of the cypress pond…dammit! I had to decide whether to sit and try to work the bird to me or move. I decided to move and attempt to get in front of the Tom; he was moving from right to left. For about 30 minutes the Tom was silent. I was beginning to fear that I had spooked it or that he met up with a real hen. I pulled out my pot and peg and gave some loud clucks. The Tom hammered back with some thunderous double gobbles! He was less than 100 yards away in a recent prescribed burn. I quickly found a good setup and proceeded to work the bird to me. After about five minutes I could tell the Tom was coming to me, but he was taking his time. When he was about 50 yards away I saw his bright white head bobbing and weaving through the woods and palmettos. At around 40 yards the Tom started strutting and gobbling. He went back and forth and back and forth gobbling and telling me to come to him. He was not going any farther. So, when he paused and I had a clear shot I took it. He crumpled to the ground, dead in his tracks. I couldn’t believe it! I was so excited I let out a rebel yell. I wish every hunting season could be a success. It feels so good when everything goes right.
FanChasn

Re: Successful 2024

Post by FanChasn »

Love them stories! Congrats.