Shell Point launch ramp / area navigation

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Kevin

Shell Point launch ramp / area navigation

Post by Kevin »

Looks like the trip is going to be around May 9. Reading back through old posts, I get the impression launching at Shell Point Marina is a hit and miss deal, especially on a weekday (we'll be arriving on a Monday). Anybody know the current status of the ramp? If it isn't always available, where is the next best alternative? Plan to leave the boat in the water the whole trip, so just need somewhere to put in on a Monday and take out on Thursday.

Also, any navigation hints would be much appreciated. We will be fishing the general area around Shell Point, probably won't have time to venture too far and wide. I am sure there is plenty of stuff around to hit or run aground on, most of which likely is obvious if you pay attention to your chart. I am talking about one of those stumps in the middle of a marked channel sort of deals like we have up here on Lake Weiss, the stump capital of the known world. Or unmarked areas that are just plain bad news, especially for a first-timer bebopping around unfamiliar water looking for some fish.

Thanks for any help. As a newbie, reading this board makes me want to pack up and move to your neighborhood. Not nearly enough oyster bars and grass flats up here at the foot of Lookout Mtn!
Nathan
Site Sponsor

Post by Nathan »

I'm definately not an expert on the area, but I believe the next closest launch to Shell Point Marina is Spring Creek. I'm sure someone else can provide better info though.

Nathan
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Nathan's right, he's not an expert (then again neither am I) Next closest ramp to Shell Point is Oyster Bay, but from what I have heard there is no place to park....
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
GC
Site Sponsor

Post by GC »

Spring creek is probably the closest with parking. And, the channel out is marked fairly well......Just keep up with the green channel markers...there's a red one or two missing! :o

Oh, if you head down spring creek highway....go just past the resturant and take a left between the brick pilings. A nice lady will come take your $5 and there's plenty of parking. :thumbup:
CAPTAIN CHARLIE
Site Sponsor

SHELL POINT LAUNCHING

Post by CAPTAIN CHARLIE »

Kevin,

If you will contact me I will help you make arrangements to launch at our neighborhood ramp at Oyeter Bay. If I don't have two boats in the water you can tie up to my dock while you're not fishing.

I'd be happy to make a run with you around the area so you can become familiar with it. In Oyster Bay local knowlege is a must. Lots of oyster bars, and lots of fish too. Give me a call.

Captain Charlie

850 8931050
FLAT BROKE CHARTERS (RETIRED)
VERY AFFORDABLE FLATS FISHING
U.S.C.G. MASTERS LISC. AUX. SAIL
850 893-1050 cell 212-0660
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Dang nice of you Captain Charlie. :thumbup:
Will_Fish_4_Food
Site Sponsor

Post by Will_Fish_4_Food »

:beer: _4_CC

:thumbup:
astewart

Post by astewart »

Cap'n Charlie - I too am making a first trip to the Oyster Bay area, bringing a 19ft Sea Pro CC Bay Boat. Looking at the charts for the area there is not a whole lot of water in there. Is the channel out to the bay well marked?

We are planning on the first week in April, it's my son's senior year in school so we're trying to make it a memorable trip.
Channel 16 - Rainmaker
SneakyBooger

Post by SneakyBooger »

Kevin,

The ramp is open all the time now. There is an honor box to put in $10 a day to use the ramp.

The next closest place is Spring Creek or Oyster Bay.

Oyster Bay is free, just not easy to find if you don't know your way there. I know how to find it, but danged if I could tell you if it were the 3rd, 4th, or 5th left you go down to get to it. And once the boat is in the water, getting from the canal to the channel in the bay is another difficult task if you aren't sure where you are going. And there isn't enough parking, but during the week you probably won't have any trouble as it is not often crowded then.

Spring Creek is more navigable, but there is a fee to launch -- not sure how much.

Tear em up and give a report. The trout should be jumping in the boat.

Sneak
CAPTAIN CHARLIE
Site Sponsor

OYSTER BAY

ASTEWART,

As the time of your arrival gets closer get in touch with me and I'll be glad to show you around Oyster Bay.

There is pleanty of water even at low tide if you know where to go. As for the channel and the markers, there are pleanty of both, but can get confusing.

Lets get together and Ill run you around the area.

As for the ramp at Oyster Bay, it is owned by the home owners association.

They built it and paid for it. Some peopele with the county say it's now public, some say no, but we vcan't find out why. The home owners on weekends can't park at their own ramp because of outsiders.

If you want to use the ramp, I'd advise you to try to get to know the folks who live there, make friends, and park in their front yard while you fish. However, everyone there ain't gonna be that nice. One guy mentioned once that some roofing tacks would take care of the problem, however we have never had that happen, yet.

Now, where is the warm weather???

Charlie
astewart

Trip 2 - 9 April

Post by astewart »

Captain Charlie - Thanks for the info. I tried to send you an E-mail but it keeps getting rejected. Need to talk to you about getting a charter to check out the area.

My e-mail is alstewart@planters.net

Thanks for the info. The person I am renting from said there would be no problem getting the boat launched - but I know how boat ramps can be. Plan to launch and leave it in for most of the week.
Channel 16 - Rainmaker
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Don't want ta start a fight Capt. Charlie, but the ramp IS public property :o as is duely recorded at the Property Appraisor Office :-D
County Commision minutes:
MEETING MINUTES

APRIL 7, 2003

PUBLIC HEARING

(Tape 1-1446) 1. Road Closing – Oyster Bay Boat Ramp/Blue Dolphin Drive

Commissioner Lawhon made a motion to approve for discussion at this time. Second by Commissioner Kessler for discussion. Numerous citizens spoke regarding this item. Commissioner Lawhon suggested leaving the ramp open for now and give the County time to actively pursue the purchase of some property in the Shell Point or Spring Creek area to build another boat ramp. Commissioner Lawhon will head up a committee. Tabled until further notice.

http://www.mywakulla.com/mts4072003.htm
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
CAPTAIN CHARLIE
Site Sponsor

Wevans,

That's exactly what I said. The homeowners built it and now the county
says it's public.

Now you know you can't fight city hall....

Charlie