spinners

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

Dang, I didn't know I had so many friends willing to take all of this obnoxious tackle off my hands. Now, excuse me, I have to start diggin' those nightcrawlers. :-D
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Closer to 70 pounds. I lose 5mph every time you put your tackle in my boat. :o
What was I supposed to do today?
flats25

Post by flats25 »

bayoubucklures.com
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

I'm telling you, them things don't work just ask some of my friends..... :roll: :lol:

But on a serious note, if they did work I would prefer the safety pin or "regular" type spinners. The inline one's will run shallower, but it doesn't provide that thump, thump at the end of the rod.....
drayno

Post by drayno »

tin can wrote:Those baits contain lead
TC,

Good point, but I have a strange question. Every single piece of tackle I own has the warning label, "This product contains lead, a material known in the state of California to cause cancer." My question is, what are those out in Cali doing that is giving them cancer with the fishing Tackle that us Floridians aren't. I've been here 4 years now, am I legally allowed to call myself a Floridian? Ooops sorry, I digress. I just find that an interesting warning. Not as much fun as the bottle of Vodka from Russia that says, "Warning, irresponsible use may cause pregnancy." :smt100

But more on the topic, how have spinner baits worked for me. Well so far I have yet to find a fish that can kill my spinner baits. I have found many rocks, trees, twigs, and oyster bars that will take them right off the line, but no fish. Truth be told, either I'm doing something wrong or fish just aren't interested in artificial lures. Everything I've EVER caught on an artificial has been when it has been "sweetened" with shrimp. Real recently deceased shrimp, fish bites haven't even worked so far. (Note: I've only used Fish bites once.) Correction this weekend I caught a 4" sand trout on a jig head with an electric chicken and fish bites. The interesting thing is that this weekend I didn't catch a THING on live bait, which is usually the only way I catch anything. Everything I caught was on a jig head with a cee biscuit under a Cajun thunder sweetened with shrimp tail or head. I caught all my trout on that. When I was "robbed" of the shrimp I quit getting hits, and I couldn't catch a thing on the jig head with cee biscuit.
I've caught freshwater bass out at St. Marks State Park on a plastic worm, I just chalk that up to Salt Water fish being smarter, oh ya I also caught a Flounder when fishing for bass after a bass turned my other wise nice Texas rig into a Wacky Worm and I was too lazy to change worms. :roll: Either I'm the stupidest fisherman a live or one lucky one, in the absence of a dad who taught me what to do, I've been reading, guessing and hoping. My wife looks at the copious amounts of tackle, baits, lures, and lines and says "of all this you use only 1/10th of what you have." My response is, "the other stuff didn't work." I hang onto it in the hopes that one day I'll know how to work it, or the fish will get dumb to my lack of technique. :smt043

Jeff
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

Keep playin' with those artificials and let the rest of us know when you figure it out. Been fishing my whole life (mostly bass) with artificials and if I had it figured out maybe I wouldn't have to have a "real" job (aka Jimmy Houston). :-D :-D