HAWG Trout

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Chalk

HAWG Trout

Post by Chalk »

Skipper Shinn caught this 9 plus pound trophy trout fishing Baffin Bay with Capt. Kevin Cochran

March 1, 2005 - Warren Young caught this trophy 8 lb. trout while wade fishing with Capt. Capt. Kevin Cochran in Baffin Bay.

Feb. 2, 2005 - This 28 ½" - 8lb.2oz trout was caught by Rob Cummings in Baffin Bay on a frigid late afternoon wade in 3' to 4' of water. She was fooled by a Pink & Pearl B&L Corky, 6'6" AllStar Tops-n-Tails, Chronarch MG, Ande 12#, Lite NE 5-10, water color-Stained photographed, weighed and released to play another day.

We need a trophy trout room, get out there and catch a biggun and send me a picture, I'll do the rest....
:thumbup:
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Did anyone here about the so-called 9lb caught at Keaton this past Saturday. Someone was on the radio asking the marina if the contest was still on and they said it ended the first of the year, but whoever this was on the radio said he had him/her.
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

I second the motion- Chalk you gotta goodun there :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
chugbug

Post by chugbug »

Where is Baffin Bay?
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Baffin Bay, Texas is also known as Loyola Beach, Texas
10 Minutes from Riviera, TX. 20 from Kingsville, TX.
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

At first I thought you were referring to Buffoon Bay :roll:

I know where that is
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Sir reel wrote:At first I thought you were referring to Buffoon Bay :roll:

I know where that is
Nope, that's where I fish :o :-D :beer: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
chugbug

Post by chugbug »

I looked it up on google. Looks like the place to go to hook a biggun.
drayno

Post by drayno »

Which did you google, Baffin Bay or Buffoon Bay? I'm not sure which would be more productive, Baffin Bay where the trophies are caught or Buffoon Bay where they are all running from me, and I guess Wevens according to his own admission. :D

Jeff
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

Watched Keith Warren Outdoors yesterday and he was fishing Baffin Bay. Nothing but sand and a BUNCH of rocks. Looked like a neat place. They caught trout and reds. They were "wrangling" reds with the boat. Running across the water full throttle. When they saw the water "push up", they pulled a 180 and cut the fish off. Started slingin' lures in front of them before the boat ever stopped. Kind of crazy looking; but, effective. Saw a few guys do this in the Redfish Cup too when they are in TX. Wonder why it works in TX and scares the crap out of everything in FL?
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

I'd like to see them try that at Aucilla!! :-D
jason patterson

Texas Size Trout!!!!

Post by jason patterson »

I grew up in Texas and when I was in college we would fish Baffin Bay whenever I could get out of class. Sometimes when I couldn't get out of class. The rocks are actually prehistoric serpulid worms that formed mounds. The Bay borders King Ranch and the dove hunting and duck hunting is incredible as well as the trout, redfish and flounder fishing. You can also see HUGE whitetail deer. Not trying to be a know it all but if you ever have the opportunity to take a trip you have to fish the BAY!
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

You don't sound like a know it all...you sound like someone who knows what he's talking about. Thanks for the info. :thumbup: :thumbup:
sea-grits

Re: HAWG Trout

Post by sea-grits »

Chalk wrote:Skipper Shinn caught this 9 plus pound trophy trout fishing Baffin Bay with Capt. Kevin Cochran

March 1, 2005 - Warren Young caught this trophy 8 lb. trout while wade fishing with Capt. Capt. Kevin Cochran in Baffin Bay.

Feb. 2, 2005 - This 28 ½" - 8lb.2oz trout was caught by Rob Cummings in Baffin Bay on a frigid late afternoon wade in 3' to 4' of water. She was fooled by a Pink & Pearl B&L Corky, 6'6" AllStar Tops-n-Tails, Chronarch MG, Ande 12#, Lite NE 5-10, water color-Stained photographed, weighed and released to play another day.

We need a trophy trout room, get out there and catch a biggun and send me a picture, I'll do the rest....
:thumbup:
Ain't a 9 pound trout in the Padre Island area of Texas, not anything to brag about? Seems like only several years ago, a big trout down there was in the 12 pound range! Could be trout size is going down, there.
One half the size, around here is a big deal. Our sand and water is purtier over heah, though. And, we ain't got them ugly offshore oil platforms!
In a land called, Perfect, sea grits grows on the beach dunes in patches next to those of sea oats!