Shark Meat ?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Shark Meat ?

Post by mjsigns »

Anyone else been catching sharks lately?

Is shark meat a good table fare? I have heard lots of information on shark meat and preparation, and with the chain of attacks recently, my interest in catching and possibly eating some shark has been reborn.

Anyone catch and eat shark regularly? I would like to know how to handle the meat and maybe some keys to good prepararation of shark.

Thanks-
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

After the shark calms enough to handle, gut it right away, and back on the ice. Fillet like any other but when you skin it stay just off just enough to stay away from the blood line. All done right shark is a firm white meat.. :thumbup:
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

dstockwell wrote:After the shark calms enough to handle, gut it right away, and back on the ice. Fillet like any other but when you skin it stay just off just enough to stay away from the blood line. All done right shark is a firm white meat.. :thumbup:
Don's advice is right on. I would add: 1)after gutting, hang in the water and let all of the blood out that will flow 2)Pack completely in ice, and keep very cold. 3) If a small shark, no further prep is normally necessary. If a larger shark, soak the fillets or steaks in ice water for 15 minutes or so with a little (tablespoon) vinegar or lemon juice in the water. The soak will get rid of any remaining urea in the tissue. As Don said, cut away any red streaks in the meat.

Shark is very good fried or grilled. Grilled, be careful not to overcook, or it will get tough. Like most fish, it takes a marinade nicely, and cook it HOT, and quick. Black tips are very good, as are sharpnose and bonnetheads. These days, I take shark only if I need the meat and I have not caught anything else I like better, such as grouper. But they eat fine, and you can see the fillets for sale in any fish market.

Luck,

EJ
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

All good advice :thumbup: the only thing I might can add is, if you don't care for the Lemon flavor "I never use vinegar, though it works" Milk works wonders on ANY meat that you want to remove a strong flavor from "butter milk is best" :-D but it is best to leave it in overnight in an ice chest with plenty of ice :beer: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
BIG
Site Sponsor

Post by BIG »

Why is the ice so important? :oops:
chugbug

Post by chugbug »

I like to soak it in Italian dressing for a few hours and then throw it on a super hot grill right next to the T-bones. :lick:
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

BIG wrote:Why is the ice so important? :oops:
If it's not kept very cold, the meat starts to loose it's firmness :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
JimR
Site Sponsor

Post by JimR »

Another note : Women who are pregnant, may become pregnant and small children should keep consumption of shark to a minimum. Being on the high end of the food chain, sharks,especially large ones may have high levels of mercury in them.
Atticus
Site Sponsor

Post by Atticus »

JimR wrote:Another note : Women who are pregnant, may become pregnant and small children should keep consumption of shark to a minimum.
Someone should warn Chalk. :lol:
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Atticus wrote:Someone should warn Chalk. :lol:
:smt017 :smt102
Atticus
Site Sponsor

Post by Atticus »

Just thinking because of the sun dress and all - you too might be in jeopardy of shark poisioning. :o :-D
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

7MR-11

Post by 7MR-11 »

http://www.bigbendfishing.net/phpbb/vie ... php?t=7288

Shark attack today in Cape San Blas
Teenage boy in critical condition at Bay Medical Center in PC Florida.

:smt013
"It don't cost one thin dime to set that hook" -Roland Martin(?)
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Any more attacks and we might need to have an semi-annual "Shark Fishing Tournament" :evil:
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.