Offshore Ochlocknee 12/22/2002

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Tom Keels
Site Admin

Offshore Ochlocknee 12/22/2002

Post by Tom Keels »

Left Bayside Marina with D-Tox and Roland about 8:00 am aboard D-tox's 22 ft Glacier Bay.

As we departed the river, we were met by a steady 2 foot chop that the cat just plowed through like it wasn't there. Out past the shoals it turned into 2-4 with the tide out going fast. We trolled a few numbers around 24 with no hits at all. The cat was a nice stable, dry ride in the slop, except when I tried my hand at steering into a head sea, and buried the nose in a wave. OOPS :o

We decided to anchor on a number and drop down some baits. I started with a jig tipped with fishbites and quickly landed two hump head sea bass and a short gag. Just like that, tide stopped, bite off like a switch. Stuck it out for a 20 minutes or so with the seas steady building to 4's and 5's with the occasional 6.

We decided to make the run in to some shallower stuff and try our luck until the tide was roaring again.

Trolled over my and Tin Can's, best numbers and got zilch, zero, nada. Seas looked as if they had layed a bit, so we ran back out to the previous number. Same story with big seabass and short gags. D-tox got one huge bite, but missed. The seas had layed to 5 foot rollers and it was getting late so we ran on in. Back at the dock about 5:00. Long day for 20 big sea bass, but it was better than sittin' at the house. Thanks to D-tox and Roland for a nice Sunday afternoon.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Better luck next time on them Grouper. Seabass not so bad.