Carrabelle 2-2-03

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Sawbones
Site Sponsor

Carrabelle 2-2-03

Post by Sawbones »

Put in at Carrabelle Creek (no water), fog lifted by the time we rounded the island. Went straight to the Yamaha, boated 2 AJ's then headed south looking for warmer water. Found it in 110 feet a few miles south of the "S". Sixty-one degrees, yahoo! Drifted the hard bottom, found nothing but shorts and red snapper . Came back in to a wreck in 90 feet, boxed one 27" gag while jigging, LY's on the bottom went untouched. Worked our way back, finally trolling up more shorts in 45 feet (temp 54). No wind, flat seas, hit 47.5 mph (new record) once tank got below half full. Visibility +/- 30 feet offshore, stained with lots of 1" juvenile shrimp (?) inshore. Low tide 9:30 am, 105 miles on the gps. If spring don't get here soon, I'm gonna shoot me a groundhog.
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Good job on your report. Since I didn't even make it past the fog...(on friday) I sure enjoyed your report. After pick'n up pine cones and rak'n straw most of Sat and Sun... your trip sounds pretty good.

By the way... from somebody raised in the midwest and who has actually tried it..... Bar B Que'd ground hog is dog gone good eat'n!! :lick: (specially if its a young one!) So go ahead and shoot the little rascal, I'll cook him up for ya.
Will_Fish_4_Food
Site Sponsor

Post by Will_Fish_4_Food »

I heard the same thing from a couple of buddies, that LY's were of no interest to the grouper, but diamond jigs resulted in 5 keepers on the bryson reef.