Alligator Point 3/12/03

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

fish finder
Site Sponsor

Alligator Point 3/12/03

Post by fish finder »

As luck would have it, I had a group of guys want to go fishing during the week and it's a good thing being that the trend on the weekends seems to be crappy as far as the weather. We left the dock about 7:30-8:00 and proceeded out to the first stop in 52ft. With the water temp about 63-64 degrees we were marking good bottom and lots of fish, so the bite was on. The crew managed to catch about 20 grouper, but only 3 big enough to keep. On out to 60 ft to see if we could locate some bigger fish. Same thing here, same thing in 75 ft, lots of action but the big boys didn't want play. We also tried a little bit of trolling, picking up one nice grouper, on none other than my brand new "Gordon Stretch". It works, it really works! :D
After lunch the gang decided to try their hand at some AJ action, so we went to check out the action at the Yamaha Reef. With a couple of boats their we just did some drifting by the edges. That was good enough as the AJ's are thick there. They were catching them on jigs on 20 lb test one after the other. Even saw some fellas on another boat catching them on topwater plugs. It made for some great fun. Also had some caught on cut LY's. After everybody on board tangled with a couple of AJ's each before we headed back in. We stopped twice in some numbers closer in to see if the big boys had pulled a fast one and came inside, no such luck.
Back at the dock, the final tally was 6 grouper to 13lbs and 3 AJ's to 20 lbs. Even though the keep-to-catch ratio was way down, everybody agreed that it was a great day on the water. The crew of 4, 3 of them from Kentucky on their first trip offshore, had caught at least 40 grouper.
The seas were 1ft all day :D and it was partly cloudy, not too hot, not too cold. The bait was cut LY's and chub mackerel. The water was a little dirty untill we got out 75 ft, then it cleared up some. Cuda "B" ran great and we all had a great day!
Capt. Jay
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Glad the kentucky boys got their string stretched.
What was I supposed to do today?
Sea Fox
Site Sponsor

Post by Sea Fox »

FF, I enjoyed reading your report. 8)
Sea Ya !
Vitz

Post by Vitz »

Fish Finder- Have you heard anything on what the plans are for the Alligator Point marina? For years I've wanted to move my boat from St. Marks dry-storage to AP dry storage but there current barn is not able to hold a large boat.

At one point (a year or two ago) I'd heard plans that they were going to bulldoze the old barn and erect a new one. In fact, they were telling all of the people with boats in dry storage that they'd have to have them out be a certain time so that they could tear it down. It never happened.

Have you heard anything?
fish finder
Site Sponsor

Post by fish finder »

Vitz,
The last I heard, the Poole family had a buyer lined up that also has another Marina over in Amelia Island. The plans supposedly include tearing down the old barn and building a new one as well as making some improvements to the ship store. Hell, I'd be glad to see them just operate with Marina hours and keep fuel, bait and ice there. Anyway, I wouldn't hold your breath, because the story changes almost everytime I check. I would definately do some more investigating before moving your boat. I don't have much of a choice as the owner that I Captain for has a place at Alligator Point. If I hear any more info, I'll pass it on. Good luck.
Capt. Jay
Vitz

Post by Vitz »

Jay- If you can tell me, who's boat are you captaining? My family also has a place at Alligator Point and that's why I'd like to move it there. It's a 24 foot boat but we don't have a trailer for it and I don't want to keep it in the water. They've told me that the barn can't handle it. The say I can keep it on the outside racks on the westside of the barn but those racks look too rickety.

I keep trying to convince the family that we need to build a dock out in the bay with a boat lift then there'd be no more monthly storage payment. They agree but it's an expensive proposition. We'll see.
fish finder
Site Sponsor

update

Post by fish finder »

Vitz,
I Captain for a local guy, Scott Dungey, who stays pretty busy and on the road alot. They have a place their at Alligator point and keep the boat at their dock. I know it would be expensive but I think you're right about building a dock as opposed to keeping it at the Marina. Good luck on talking them into it. The only thing that you have to watch for is giving yourself enough water. The water on the bay side can get pretty skinny, especially during the winter months. That would be the time to build so you would know just what you would encounter in those situations.
I do have some good news. I was at the Marina Sat. fueling up and got the latest on the buyout. The Marina has been sold as of 2/27/03 and they are tearing down the old barn and the resturant and making improvements to the ship store. Demolition and construction are supposed to start within a couple of weeks. Come May 1st, they are supposed to have new hours also;7-6, 7 days a week. I forgot to ask if they are going do something with the launching ramp, which anybody that has put in there will testify, is real shitty. I'll try to ask next time.
Any way, I'll try to keep you posted. One thing for sure, if you value you're boat, I wouldn't get it anywhere near that old barn. Later.
Capt. Jay