First Time Aucilla

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Rainman
Site Sponsor

First Time Aucilla

Post by Rainman »

Like most I've been reading the posts for quite some time now before joining. I've been fishing the St. Marks area for about a year now. Bought my first boat last March, 14 ft Tracker. Get's me there on a budget.

I was planning on making my first trip to the Aucilla this weekend, hopefully early if the old lady lets me. I was looking for any advice you guys may have. I've heard about the rocks, and I've hit a few around the Palmetto Island (my normal fishin spot). I was planning on going to the mouth of the river and setting up a drift, not sure what to look for yet, and ideas?
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

:o BE VERY CAREFUL!

Good Luck!
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
RodBow
Site Sponsor

Post by RodBow »

follow a sacrifice bunter in front of you :D
use your opportunities ...

218 Carolina Skiff
25 Bayliner Deck
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

Look at the Jerry's Bait and Tackle site. I think he has a semi-map of the area.
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner."
RC
Site Sponsor

Post by RC »

they don't call it the Rockzilla for nothing.

Don't get above an idle in that river unless you are with someone who knows it.

I'd go to econfina if I were you. It's bad enough.
Fisherman989
Site Sponsor

Post by Fisherman989 »

I have fished the Aucilla River for over 40 years. Hit hundreds of rocks during this time....lost 3 skags over the years. Best advice I can give...do not follow the middle of the river going out to the mouth. Rocks abound....in places...right in the middle....even close to the landing.Most newcomers just get in the middle of the river and turn it loose.
I followed someone who didn't know the river from the landing out to the mouth about 3 weeks ago. They had a 90 Yamaha. Right below the island...in the center of the river I was watching when they hit the Volkswagon (a rock as big as a Volkswagon) that lurks just below the surface. Took part of the engin off.
The point is....go slow....go with someone who knows the river.
To the left or right of the river is pretty good fishing. To the right (west) lies the rock garden. It is unforgiving...even to those who know it. :-?
catchin1

Post by catchin1 »

I fished Aucilla a ton. Its a good small boat place cuz you never have to get out on the big water if you don't want to. You can take West pass and start fishing the shoreline or drift out to the edge of the Gulf and then jet west right in to Pinhook. Thats a plenty of water to cover in a small boat and some good fishing. Having said that, whateveryone says about the rocks ain't no joke, idle every where and start learning.
Welcome aboard and give us a report when you go.
Rainman
Site Sponsor

Post by Rainman »

We'll I decided not to go to the Aucilla. I think I'm going to wait until I get my trolling motor up and running just in case I hit a rock. I did put in at the Lighthouse at about 7 am. The wind was blowing out of the east fairly good. Drifted across the openning of Stoney Bayou a few times with no luck. Off the water by eleven. Great time on the water. Nothing like being out in the morning.

Thanks all for the advice.
catchin1

Post by catchin1 »

It worked guys, we scared another off our fishing holes. 8) :-D :wink:
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Catchin, I think if we kept a photo of a busted lower unit on hand, it wouldn't take nearly as many posts to scare someone off. :wink:
What was I supposed to do today?
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

I think we could just put one(busted foot) on a pole at the ramp. That should do it. :lol:
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Jumptrout51 wrote:I think we could just put one(busted foot) on a pole at the ramp. That should do it. :lol:

JT, can we get one of the 7 or 8 you and Butch have laying around? :wink: :-D
What was I supposed to do today?
Fisherman989
Site Sponsor

Post by Fisherman989 »

I wish I had taken a picture of one of my three lower units I have torn up there. Would have been a great picture....but they are burned into my mind. Two of them were within 30 days of each other.
I'm going there today since it was only 100 degrees yesterday. :)
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

Fisherman989 wrote:I wish I had taken a picture of one of my three lower units I have torn up there. Would have been a great picture....but they are burned into my mind. Two of them were within 30 days of each other.
I'm going there today since it was only 100 degrees yesterday. :)
That was an expensive month!
Good luck today.
Fisherman989
Site Sponsor

Post by Fisherman989 »

Got 6 trout--1 red@ 6 lbs....4 smaller reds..several short trout.
Hot...hot...hot. Got two of the trout on topwater. :) Another nice day with the son and his wife.