Offshore Carrabelle 04-05-2003

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Tom Keels
Site Admin

Offshore Carrabelle 04-05-2003

Post by Tom Keels »

Got to take a ride with Capt. Clark Smith and his friend John Holley in Clark's new Grady White 263 Chase yesterday out of Carrabelle. Stopped at the Express lane for a sandwhich and Sea Legs was already there. We had to wait on a 24' BW Outrage to leave the dock so we could put in. I yelled to the owner a big guy with a grin to get the hell out of the way. Randy G laughed and got in the boat. We left the river about 7:15 and rounded the pass to be greeted by 2-3 foot seas and the occasional 5 foot gound swell. The GW handled the seas beautifully and we hummed along pushed by the twin 200 HPDI's at about 30 mph. Our next 3 hours was spent looking for good bait to use during the day's plan, which was live bait and chum around structure.

We managed to find scattered pods of big cigar minnows in 50 feet, and once we filled the livewell we headed for the yamaha for some AJ's.

When we got there there we 2 boats on it already and 3 more making fast for it. The guys anchored and fishing for cut bait looked a little miffed when pulled up and dropped live baits and started catching AJ's, while they kept reeling up to check their baits.

We put 3 30-33" fish in the box in about 10 minutes and then moved up current about 300 yards of the structure. MHNEWELL and the <i>Renegade</i> were one of the boats that showed up as we were catching AJ's.

Once on anchor we deployed the Chum Churn and put out 4 live baits. John grabbed the rod after the first fish hit and the fight was on...
About 10 minutes later we had the first king in the boat, a snake of about 8 pounds.

We chummed, ate lunch, and kept fishing for next hour and a half with only 2 more big AJ's to show for it. With it getting late, we decided to head back to O tower and slow troll some live baits. It paid off for John again and we boated a 15.8 pound king after a lengthy fight.
With rain on the horizon and a building sea we headed for home. Once again the Grady handled the big following sea and we made 32 mph with not a drop of water in the cockpit, except for the rain shower we ran through. Back at the moorings, Capt. David Proctor was cleaning a mess of nice black snapper they caught on the S tower aboard the <i>Jolly Mon</i>. I cleaned fish while Clark and John cleaned the boat (I'll make that trade any day). Monty and Lisa showed up with what looked to be some sort of long haired rat on a leash. Lisa called it a dog and I said "Riiiiighhhht". After putting the boat up, we chatted with Lisa, Monty and "ratdog", and commenting on what sort of grouper bait the dog would make, we headed for Tally about 6 pm.

Fun day on the water, albeit a little slow, with a couple of great guys. It sure beat the hell out of a Parade. Thanks John and Clark for a great trip.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Sea Fox
Site Sponsor

Post by Sea Fox »

Tom, were the cigars on the surface, if not how deep were they. Im going to carrabelle this thursday thru sunday and need to know where the bait is. I will be monitoring 16, if your around give me a shout. 8)
Sea Ya !
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

They were on the bottom in 50 feet. We just had to idle around looking for them on the scope. There are tons at O tower, but they are small.
Tom Keels
Site Founder