Apalachicola Trout report 1/19/02

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Old Dog
Site Sponsor

Post by Old Dog »

It was a slow day on the Apalachicola Delta yesterday. The weather forecast predicted a
60% chance of rain and 10-15 knot winds so wasn't real sure about how long we could
fish, but decided to take the weather we were offered and make the most of it.

My two partners on this trip included Hugh, a 75 year old longtime veteran of fishing in
that area, and my next door neighbor Gary, who was a freckled trout fishing newbie.
Putting in at Bay City Lodge, we got on the water about 0730, and headed to a stretch
of river where we'd had some luck in the past. (Read BIG understatement)

Using "nightglow" DOA plastic shrimp, tied onto 6# test line, we set up a drift and waited for the first hang up. Being well mannered and hospitable to my guests, I "let" Hugh and Gary bring in the first two fish, both keepers. I thought that we were gonna be into a repeat of Wednesday, when my cousin Wayne and friend Bill hauled in 100, but that was not to be. We must have made the fish gods mad the other day 'cause after those first two trout, we got the cold hook.

Growing impatient with the slow bite, I cranked up and moved us down river to a spot that had produced for me in the past.
With a slight current from the end of an outgoing tide slowly moving us downstream,
each of us threw out our DOA's as far out behind the boat as we could. And then
stripped out more line to make sure the lures reached bottom in the 20' deep water found
along there. And we started picking up trout. Not many, and keepers were few and far
between, but the action was good enough to keep us from getting bored.

As it turned out, the weather wasn't much of a factor. We had some winds, but on the
stretch of river we fished it was possible to find wind shadow and stay out of it. And it
didn't start clouding up until after 1500.
With clouds starting to build, and with our three limits of trout in the box and a 3 hour
drive to make in the rain, we decided to head on back. And even though it was a slow
day, it was a good day. By quitting time we had boated 44 trout, and of the 44, 19 were
keepers. I don't think that is a bad ratio of keepers to total trout caught.

We had a decent catch, we had good weather, and we had good fellowship. And we got out of raking leaves for another day. Life is great!
Old Dog
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

OD, Nice report, thanks a lot.

Having half the catch as keepers is quite a result.

When I have fished for trout on the NE ICW in Spring, most of the catch is below the keeping size limit.
Is there a season or time of year when you catch the bigger fish?
Or is it just luck?
Old Dog
Site Sponsor

Post by Old Dog »

Cranfield, We are catching larger trout now than in years past. The net ban along with strict size and creel limits have helped the trout population rebound. It seems the last two or three years I've caught some of the largest trout ever.
The fall schooling trout in the bays down here seem to be on the small size, but during the winter when they're lying up in these deep creeks, they have got some size on them.
In the spring and summer I fish the shallow water flats, and catch some large trout out there.
Dog
Leerr

Post by Leerr »

Sounds good!

What is it with Millatary time?? :sleep:
Tight Lines and Screamin Drags...
Old Dog
Site Sponsor

Post by Old Dog »

It was a fun trip. How's things over Mobile way Leer? Is the bay muddy? I'm thinking of easing over that way toward the end of Feb. to see if the shellcrackers want to bite.
I guess the military time is a habit left over from my service days, then in my last job we used it to distinguish day from night schedules. Sometimes old habits are hard to break. But it eliminates confusion for those familiar with that method.
Dog :roll: