Red Bugs

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

What a mess

Post by What a mess »

of course we have heard of the hypocrite's oath you don't think we would try most of that stuff. :smt005 :smt005 :smt005 :smt005 :smt005
Yesterday it was taboo today it is normal what the heck will they be doing tomorrow?
chugbug

Post by chugbug »

******Dumb question alert*******

What are redbugs?
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

A chigger or red bug is an immature stage (larvae) of the harvest mite. Like all mites, the harvest mite life cycle includes larva, nymph, and adult. In the last two stages, this mite feeds on plant materials. The stage that gets the attention of humans is the larval stage. This is the stage that is considered to be a pest, causing intense itching
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
Tennessee

Post by Tennessee »

up here in Tennessee we call those bugs chiggers, to keep them from getting on you just take a rag, soak it in kerosene and rub the rag around your foot and ankle area, will also keep the ticks away. I don't think you have them down there, but up here we have seed ticks, if you find one on you, you may have hundreds or thousands on you. Another thing you can do is spray deet on your footwear, socks, and clothes the day before the outing, and it will keep them away, but be careful not to get the deet on you skin or breath it, it can cause major health problems.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

We have the Seed ticks "AKA Deer Ticks" here also :smt013
RodBow
Site Sponsor

Post by RodBow »

I heard from the city dumpster guys over the radio one morning that unless you eat enough opossum - you have to rub the spot with opossum poot :o
use your opportunities ...

218 Carolina Skiff
25 Bayliner Deck
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

HAS IT WORKED..... :o
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

That is an easy one... Just apply some of that cat fish slime, and your problems will disappear!
:-D
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

I have heard a variation of the kerosene cure.
You soak your socks in kerosene,then light them with a match.
I think you are supposed to be wearing them at the time. :roll:
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

:smt005
GULP! free since 1970.
Charles
Site Sponsor

Post by Charles »

The best way to get rid of chiggers is to not get them in the first place, ticks too.
Go to the drug store and pick up a bottle of powdered sulfur. You'll probably have to ask for it at the back counter, and they might have to order it, but they should be able to get it in a couple days.
Dump some sulfur in an old sock and knot the top. Keep this in a Zip-Lock bag to keep from getting sulfur powder all over the place.
Before getting dressed to go in the woods dust all over with the sock. Just like a resin bag.
An advantage to this is sulfur is a natural smell and makes a good cover scent.
A disadvantage to this is whatever clothes you wear are going to smell like sulfur, forever.

Works very well against ticks and chiggers. Doesn't do so well against mosquitoes, no-see-'ums or biting flies. Does nothing at all against POed yellow-jackets. :-D
AJ
Site Sponsor

Post by AJ »

Try "After Bute" on the itchy spots. That stuff works for me on anything except poison ivy.

Be very careful not to apply it to sensative skin areas if you know what I mean :o .
You gonna talk, or you gonna fish?