Eastpoint area wading

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

calmseas

Eastpoint area wading

Post by calmseas »

This is my first submission, so if I botch it please forgive me.
Wade fished this side of East Point this morning at daylight and caught a monster of a trout (at least in my book). He was 26" and had to weigh at least 6 lbs. I also caught a 21" redfish. Started about daylight and the bite was over by 8a.m. If the water is calm, I always use topwater, if it is choppy, I'll throw a DOA baitbuster or mirrorlure catch 2000. But the voices always say "topwater", so whenever possible I throw bright topwater plugs. That seems to be my ticket to consistent big trout and an occasional red or spanish. The sharks get pretty thick around July so you have to keep a close eye on the stringer. I think I would have fought a big shark over the trout I caught this morning.

AM
calmseas
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Welcome aboard, CalmSeas. Sounds like ya found the early morning bite. That's a nice trout. :thumbup:
What was I supposed to do today?
nitrofish

Post by nitrofish »

Yes welcome :o to the world of keyboard fishing :wink: The St.George area was my main stompin grounds for years till my wife transfered from the state park there to Wakulla Springs. Sure miss fishing that area as much as I use to. Can still help ith any info on area. Anyway. :) WELCOME... NITROFISH says "LET THE BIG FISH EAT" execpt your big trout :lol:
NITROFISH
"Let The Big Fish Eat"
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Couple nice fishes. :thumbup: Welcome..
calmseas

Post by calmseas »

Thanks for the welcome. I'll do my best to keep y'all updated on the wade fishing near Eastpoint, or anywhere else I strike gold.

AM
calmseas
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Welcome calmseas. Good report. We don't see many wade fishing reports. Interesting, been a few years since I've wade fished. Other than Floundering.
Semper Fi
DuctTapeKing

Post by DuctTapeKing »

Welcome Calmseas. I do a lot of wade fishing so reports like these are what I come here to read. Keep them comming. Since we wade fishers dont have radios I'll just hollar as loud as I can next time I'm fishing that area hopefully you'll reply. I know what you mean about haveing fish tied up to ya and being a little weary of a shark. A month or so ago I was wading and caught a 28 1/2 inch trout on the oyster bars at bald point. I started thinking about them toothy sharks and doubled my stringer to about 10 feet behind me. All I know is if a shark had wanted that fat trout he would have gotten a pole butt to the face and my ass would have been outta there. Welcome.. and tell all your friends that wade to leave us a report sometime.
calmseas

Post by calmseas »

I'll stay in touch DuctTapeKing. We do practice a rare and somewhat psychotic form of fishing. I love it. It's hard to decide if I want the stringer to be short or long. If it's too long, you can loose all your fish to a shark, if it's too short, you could be mistaken for a stringer of trout. I keep it about 12 ft away and try to float the fish on the stringer with styrafoam. So far so good. I've only had 3-4 close calls for loosing a fish or two. The key is, as you know, keep a close eye on the stringer.
What is amazing, is that I have a perfectly good boat and motor, but this time of year I would rather be in the water with em'. I use my boat to take my 2 young sons out with me. They don't yet appreciate the finer points of wade fishing.

Good luck on your next trip, thanks for the response.
calmseas
AJ
Site Sponsor

Post by AJ »

"phychotic" :P
Calm Seas you said that right. Walking around with the sharks and stingrays gives me the willies. But fella's I saw that trout and that was one big speck!

Hey Alan, if NOAA is wrong do you want to go Saturday? I heard the picnic has been cancelled.
calmseas

Post by calmseas »

AJ
Chris and I are heading to Carabelle tomorrow morning early to wade. I would be glad to have you come with us. There will be plenty of room in the pond we're going to.
calmseas