econfina report sat 5/31

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

wetjet

econfina report sat 5/31

Post by wetjet »

took lincoln and richie to catch the pm falling tide

like fishing in a wind tunnel

picked up two keepers 21 & 18

some small trout and a mix of bass and sail cats

hard work all day - lost my prescription shades to the wind/water :( - blew right off my face - richie lost a hat - no tellin what else we lost and have not figured out yet

the water within a mile of shore was red/brown turbid - no fish caught in this stuff

the water just past a mile was green turbid - all fish picked up in this stuff

i know it wasn't the best day to fish but where are the fish?

seems like econfina not up to standard this year?

wetjet
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

Wetjet,
Did you fish Econfina straight out or to the left over toward the bird racks?
I keep hearing most of the fish are over toward the racks in deeper water. We have had lousy luck over there this year, too. That stained water just drives me crazy-can't see the bottom and tell what kind of structure if any is under your boat. The water down at Keaton is much clearer now but fish are still scattered. We fished there last Friday and got five keepers on live pinfish. Sure was windy, though!

good luck.
Yours in the South
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Hey wetjet. Good report. Don't mention this year's trout fishing not being up to par. A lot of folks seem to think it's been a pretty good year for trout. I have fished more this year than the previous 3 years, and have caught less keeper trout. Everyone that I talk to face to face say the same thing.
Semper Fi
Fish Masterson
Site Sponsor

Post by Fish Masterson »

Well I agree, and disagree(I think I can do that can't I) with what ya'll say about the fishing so far this year. It has been hit and miss, as far as the amount of keepers, but the quality of fish, has been better for me. In the last three weekends that I have fished, I have landed trout well over 4 lbs. with the biggest of the year being 6lbs even, but the last time I fished, was memorial day, out of keaton, and I landed 4 fish over 3.5lbs and two of those were 5 lbs twins. Not bad in my book for 2 hours of fishing. The shame is that I went in that day 1 fish shy of a limit because I got sick of having to turn so many big fish back.
Anyways, I am a little blue now because my offshore charter fishing trip got called off due to weather, so I guess I'll just go to work and mope around, thinking about all the fish I should be catching. Life can be so cruel! :evil:
As I do most of my fishing out of the Econfina, I think we're still affected by the water quality, and just hope that it gets back to normal soon!
Good luck out there, Fish Masterson
Blue Dolphin
Site Sponsor

Post by Blue Dolphin »

I mainly fish the big bend areas and the water has really never cleared up so far this year.......we have caught a lot of trout and reds but still not the way it should be with clean water.....
Tight Lines @ Screaming Reels