St. Marks 6-14-03

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Atticus
Site Sponsor

St. Marks 6-14-03

Post by Atticus »

Nitrofish and I went out of St. Marks in his boat this morning.

The weather was excellent but the fish were not all that cooperative.

We fished out 5-7 miles from the lighthouse with naked jigs on the bottom and floating a few pins/spot-tails under CTs out a ways from the boat.

Caught some short trout and some short rock bass. Nitrofish caught a couple ladyfish as well. Finally bagged a keeper trout on a naked jig and landed (and released) one small Blackfin on a spot-tail under my CT.

We went in some to the shallower water and found some good-looking bottom in the Rock Garden vicinity. Caught a bunch of short trout there and Nitrofish landed a nice keeper.

We saw storms and decided to head in. It was beautiful weather and calm water all day, overall a great day which would have been a little better if we had a few more nice fish to write home about.

As for colors: Candy corn and a white jig head was the most productive by far for me, I did catch a number of shorts on a chartreuse twin tail and a red jig head as well.
rx fisher
Site Sponsor

Post by rx fisher »

Thanks for the report
heading out to ST. Marks this AM,
I had most of my luck on light colored
jigs, but I'll try a candy corn today.
I'll let you know
Reel Country
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Country »

caught most of my trout on Candy Corn under CT, but also managed a few on Chartruese Top Pup on Saturday, while Jen caught her trout on live shrimp and live pinfish.
AJ
Site Sponsor

Post by AJ »

I fished StMarks Sat. with a neighbor. The bite was slow for us as well. We ended up with three keepers, one from 6' near rock garden and two from 7' near light house. No real patern or preference to colors or style but all we caught were on jigs. Some with c/t, most without. Too much grass to try top water :cry: .
rx fisher
Site Sponsor

Post by rx fisher »

I tried the candy corn, but it seemed that on every other cast
something small would take of the tail.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

I tried the candy corn, but it seemed that on every other cast
something small would take of the tail.
.....Those guys are on the pay roll at Bass assassin and also contract out to culprit, riptide and various other soft tackle companies. They get monies for each grub tail they bring in. I tried to get in on the action, but there only hiring pinfish at the moment :lol: :wink: :lol: Sorry, RX..its probably pinfish or various other crumb snatching bass turds (rock bass, grunts, blow fish, lizard fish, short trout :o )

P.S. I got tired of changing after the first cast the other day and fished with not tail :o and caught some fish..Fish it and they will come :thumbup:
rx fisher
Site Sponsor

Post by rx fisher »

That one way to beat them at their own game.
I wish the floating grass would clear to I could
use some topwater plugs. But I'll settle for
just good weather.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

I wish the water would clear up, this stained stuff has put a damper on the way I like to fish