How to splice coax cable for fishfinder?

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Re: How to splice coax cable for fishfinder?

Post by fishinfool »

This is not rocket surgery here! Electrons are electrons whether they carry voltage for a light bulb or for a depth finder. Strip back enough of each conductor to be able to work easily. Tin the center conductor with a soldering iron. Then put a small hook in each end of the center conductor. Solder them together. Be sure to slide the heat shrink tubing on before you make the connection. Shrink the tubing. Twist the shield ends and solder them together. Again make sure to slide your heat shrink over the cable before making connections.
The reason I recommend soldering instead of connectors, splices, butt connectors etc... is at every connector there will eventually be corrosion, which will produce resistance and or noise in the circuit. In your application noise is a bad thing. It will not change your depth reading from 12 to 10 feet. It will make the display fuzzy, dim or hard to read. A soldered connection will last longer and be more secure and noise free.
Good luck
firedriver90

Re: How to splice coax cable for fishfinder?

Post by firedriver90 »

I just spliced one on a boat i just bought. the butt connectors work fine just use electrical tape afterwards. we used the boat after fixing cables and worked great.
Bob