econfina redfish

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Re: econfina redfish

Post by red_yakker »

Bigshrek:
Look for mullet jumping in really close. A big school of mullet stirs up the bottom and that sends the redfish into a near-frenzy.
You have to ride right along the grassline (not reccomended around Econfina, unless you're traveling pretty slow and have protection for your foot), or else you might pass right by and never see them. If you accidentally run right over them, move away for a few minutes and they will regroup, then either push pole, use your trolling motor or just set up a drift right over them. They can be spooky in shallow water, so being quiet is very important.
Once you get right in the middle of the school of mullet, look for wakes that are too big to be a mullet and cast in front of it. Or just throw some blind casts. If they're there, you'll know in just a minute, if they're not there, move on to the next cove or creekmouth. Out of Econfina, you should be able to find a school or two pretty quick. :thumbup: Good Luck!
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

thatallguy wrote:well idk about anyone else but i think i saw people askin advice not for a specific spot. cause we all no you wouldnt give it anyways so there would be no point. some good advice on here but all the other talk is worthless
bigshrek wrote:
Not what I saw. I saw one poster indicate that helpful advise wouldn't be given on this site (despite the initial post requesting help hadn't been up for very long). Then I saw another post that indicates there is no work product associated with fishing and any "fisherman" with boat can catch fish, consequently, no need for secrets.

I took offense to both positions.

Obviously a lot of good advise was provided, so the first poster referenced was incorrect (maybe that poster just hasn't had the opty to attend a NFGFC meeting to meet many of the very helpful forum members). Other members will provide help if contacted through other means just not on the forum (eg. PM, allowing you to follow them or provide some other assitance - I happen to be one of these others).

Additionally, check local tournaments and see the names that continuously reappear (CC, CK, TC, BD, Chalk). Some don't post much anymore, but all have knowledge that most would like to. I'm not saying nice fish can't be caught floating livies on well known bars, some of my very best fish have, but to make consistently catching nice fish seem so simplistic is belittling to those of us who try harder to understand what's going on around us.

To the original poster, I hope this thread (not my post) helps. Moreso, I expecially hope that catching a couple reds using the advise provided gives you the fever to chase fish at the level of those I just referenced. The world needs more IGFA, CCA, BBF, NFGFC, etc members to understand and protect our resources. Good luck, and let us know how you do.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

My posts were all made a bit tongue in cheek, but that shared I think there's been plenty of great information in this post. :thumbup: :beer:

First off, the original request was regarding information on whether or not it's too hot to catch reds out of Ecky right now. Looks like at least four replies were strong ones to say that, yes, reds CAN be caught out of Ecky right now. Of those affirmative responses, almost all gave pretty good detailed advice. :-)

Several folks chimed in to say that time spent learning the area will give good results, and I don't see how anyone can disagree with that. :smt102 While I said the spots I fish are known by many others, I will say this too -- multiple board members didn't just give them to me. Instead my buddy Sharkman and I used kayaks and canoes to learn the Ecky / Hickory Mound area like the back of our hand (often on low tides) so that we found the public bars AS WELL AS some harder to find spots, and over time figured out which ones gave us the highest percentage odds on holding keeper reds. We both have boats now, but the recon efforts done years ago with paddle work continue to prove invaluable. 8)

As for the board reports in general, I find them to be extremely useful even if folks don't talk their exact GPS coordinates. How hot / challenging the trout / grouper / snapper / or dadgum shark bites are can pretty quickly picked up by scanning a weeks worth of reports. Enough folks title their reports with their port location that you can tell how that area's producing, even if not your exact honey hole (as again, the folks who reported may well have been on your honey hole!). :wink:

Furthermore a little work using the "search" feature and then lining up same dates in past years with your planned efforts also can prove EXTREMELY useful. Bet a dollar I can in minutes go back and find good Ecky redfish posts in past July's that give solid info.

And admittedly cryptic, but will also say that sometimes what reports DON'T SAY proves as telling as what they do. If you know the area well that someone is reporting on, you can sometimes tell what they're HIDING and that's almost always the best info of all!
:-D :lol:

So to sum everything up, think folks have both shared some great info AS WELL AS encouragement to put some time/effort into gaining knowledge of the area. That knowledge builds confidence, and confidence sure seems to often correlate with good results.
:thumbup: :D salute1
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
RalphKramden2011

Post by RalphKramden2011 »

Somebody tell the truth!

I have it on good authority there are no redfish anywhere near Econfina River!
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Hmmmm .... looks like it is time for CVS to run their tampon sale again! :smt009 :smt005
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

MudDucker wrote:Hmmmm .... looks like it is time for CVS to run their tampon sale again! :smt009 :smt005
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
thatallguy

Post by thatallguy »

well sir i personally no the man who posted it and there was like 150 nviews without any comments until i commented then people felt they needed 2 prove me wrong. and yeah there was some good advice but most of it are guys trying 2 feel good about themselves and talk crap.
thatallguy

Post by thatallguy »

this site is proving 2 be borderline worthless u ask for some simple advice and people get all worked up and gotta let everyone know about it. but for the ones who helped us thanks
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

You may have better luck if you are not so inflammatory. I have read 3 of your 5 posts and they border on rude. You catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Try some kind words and see if you have better luck.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

thatallguy wrote:this site is proving 2 be borderline worthless u ask for some simple advice and people get all worked up and gotta let everyone know about it. but for the ones who helped us thanks
I am sorry you feel that way buddy. The site has been up for quite sometime and folks have put alot of time and effort to keep it up and running. I believe there was lots of very helpful info shared with the original poster, information that was on it's way before you made a negative comment. Sometimes it takes a little while for folks to respond.

I think that if you still decide to come on here you will find that your opinion of this site will change. Lots of great info on here from lots of great people. :thumbup:
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

thatallguy wrote:this site is proving 2 be borderline worthless u ask for some simple advice and people get all worked up and gotta let everyone know about it. but for the ones who helped us thanks
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Williamsdad

Post by Williamsdad »

captkeyser wrote:
I am sorry you feel that way buddy. The site has been up for quite sometime and folks have put alot of time and effort to keep it up and running. I believe there was lots of very helpful info shared with the original poster, information that was on it's way before you made a negative comment. Sometimes it takes a little while for folks to respond.

I think that if you still decide to come on here you will find that your opinion of this site will change. Lots of great info on here from lots of great people. :thumbup:

and don't mess with people

wonder why Luc quit posting every day? someone messed with him
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

That is a bummer, I always enjoy his posts. He is a quality poster, enough info to be helpful, but not so much anyone will find him in his spots. Perfect. Plus a dang good fisherman to boot.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?