Scalloping reports???

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Lawsup

Re: Scalloping reports???

Post by Lawsup »

bman wrote:Ive heard several good reports from Lanark in shallow.

Anyone gone to St Joe?
Don't go out of your way to visit st joe, not much happening over there, had to work pretty hard for what we got and they were small.
Pumpin'Gas
Perch Jerker
Site Sponsor

Post by Perch Jerker »

Agree with above post on St Joe Bay. Few and small.
redcodefsu

Post by redcodefsu »

Took two boats out to St. Marks on Saturday. Found 1 scallop. Had a good time at the sandbar though.
2003 Key West 1720
2004 90 hp 2-stroke Yamaha
1950's Grumman 17' Double Ender
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

My family and I went out of St. Marks and headed down toward Black Rock with the other 30 or so boats that were out there on Friday. We scalloped from 2.5 feet of water out to about 5 or 6 feet deep and only found one (1) scallop.

Hit some trout holes about halfway through the day and the fish saved the day. Got some real nice trout.

- Steve Stinson
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

I buy my scallops already fried or broiled :lol: but spent some time down at Steinhatchee fishing this past week, consensus of the scallopers I spoke with was go north. Water is much darker south of the river and didn't see the first boat down there scalloping. Big Grassy area seemed to be the main target area the entire week based on boat traffic and the flotilla location :D

Took my brother in law and his teenage son scalloping one afternoon mid-week, they spent about 1 1/2 hours in the water and found "12". They didn't want to get in the crowd so hung out around near the bird rack, both are certified scuba dudes so they didn't mind the deeper water. Talked to one guy who has been going down there for 30 years, we were staying at the same place so got an update almost every day, he did really well the first day but said after that they were pretty scattered and in his words "way down in the grass/mud". In talking around with various people if you want to spend most of the day in the water and dig around some you should be able to find pretty close to a limit. Apparently they were not sitting in droves on top of the grass looking for a ride to the cooler as they have in the past.

They've got to be thinned out pretty well in the Big Grassy area as it looked like the harbor in NYC on the 4th and got hit hard the entire week.

Dang floating grass was everywhere including south of Pepperfish I guess from all the props digging up the flats... just about couldn't get a jig in the water much less anything top water. Come on September...
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150