Steinhatchee July 2nd.

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Hit-n-Miss

Re: Steinhatchee July 2nd.

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Boudreux wrote:This is off topic but is that some sort of anchor in the first pic? I've seen them on boats but never knew what they were
. It's a Stick It anchor pin. I call it my poor mans power pole lol. Got it at Gone Fishing in Thomasville. Works great if not too windy and can get 2' of it in the bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Hit-n-Miss wrote:
silverking wrote:Glad there's some around. Sounds like it'll be a slower season, especially in Apalachee Bay.

Sure don't see too many dive flags displayed on the flotilla shots. :thumbdown:
. Resolution not great on phone. They are there but not as high as should be. And lots of idjits running with there flag up and too close.

That's good to hear. It's like driving in the rain without headlights. Why wouldn't you want to be as visible as possible to avoid mishaps? Was on a charter one July day out of Lanark. A guy in a black mask with black trunks was looking for scallops from the shoreline near the old Lorenzo's site without a flag. Didn't see him until almost the last minute. Shut the engine off and asked why he wasn't using a flag. Reply was he didn't think he needed one from the shore. Told him how close that came to being a moot point. As the saying goes, "You can regulate STUPIDITY."
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

silverking wrote:
Hit-n-Miss wrote:
silverking wrote:Glad there's some around. Sounds like it'll be a slower season, especially in Apalachee Bay.

. Resolution not great on phone. They are there but not as high as should be. And lots of idjits running with there flag up and too close.

That's good to hear. It's like driving in the rain without headlights. Why wouldn't you want to be as visible as possible to avoid mishaps? Was on a charter one July day out of Lanark. A guy in a black mask with black trunks was looking for scallops from the shoreline near the old Lorenzo's site without a flag. Didn't see him until almost the last minute. Shut the engine off and asked why he wasn't using a flag. Reply was he didn't think he needed one from the shore. Told him how close that came to being a moot point. As the saying goes, "You can regulate STUPIDITY."
Pretty sure the law reads that you only have to have a flag if you are using a snorkel
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Guy had a snorkel. But regardless, why wouldn't you use a dive flag to let others know of your whereabouts? They're not expensive. I would have given him a wide berth if I had seen him earlier rather than potentially crush him with the hull/outboard due to his pseudo-SEAL attire.

OK, I'm climbing down off my soapbox now.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalachee Inshore »

Hit-n-Miss wrote:

I've been out there a lot over the past few weeks and I'm convinced nearly half the boats out there have no clue how to use a diver flag, its crazy. FWC was out with the blue lights educating people one day and I was glad to see it.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

silverking wrote:Guy had a snorkel. But regardless, why wouldn't you use a dive flag to let others know of your whereabouts? They're not expensive. I would have given him a wide berth if I had seen him earlier rather than potentially crush him with the hull/outboard due to his pseudo-SEAL attire.

OK, I'm climbing down off my soapbox now.
I agree. It came up during a sandbar day a few weeks back.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Hit-n-Miss

Steinhatchee July 2nd.

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

silverking wrote:
Hit-n-Miss wrote:

. No doubt. I also use 2 floating flags when we go.

Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Apalachee Inshore wrote:
Hit-n-Miss wrote:

I've been out there a lot over the past few weeks and I'm convinced nearly half the boats out there have no clue how to use a diver flag, its crazy. FWC was out with the blue lights educating people one day and I was glad to see it.
. I did not see the man this week out there but he was cruising the boats the week before.

silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Hit-n-Miss wrote:
. I did not see the man this week out there but he was cruising the boats the week before. [/quote]

They're not always in patrol boats wearing uniforms. :wink:
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalachee Inshore »

silverking wrote:
Hit-n-Miss wrote:
. I did not see the man this week out there but he was cruising the boats the week before.
They're not always in patrol boats wearing uniforms. :wink:[/quote]

Couple months ago at st marks I had a single guy in a jon boat come motor up right in my drift and start fishing. Let's just say after 15 minutes or so I wasn't surprised to see him start idling over a pull out a badge. It wasn't the most subtle move I've ever seen. Lol
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Apalachee Inshore wrote:
silverking wrote:
Hit-n-Miss wrote:
They're not always in patrol boats wearing uniforms. :wink:
Couple months ago at st marks I had a single guy in a jon boat come motor up right in my drift and start fishing. Let's just say after 15 minutes or so I wasn't surprised to see him start idling over a pull out a badge. It wasn't the most subtle move I've ever seen. Lol[/quote]. Had one walk up on me duck hunting in full camo waders and a shotgun. Thought he was looking for a crippled duck till asked for my gun. I said excuse me? Then he showed me his badge.

zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

Nice alien in that 1st underwater pic :-D
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

zload wrote:Nice alien in that 1st underwater pic :-D
I swam around him and he would turn to look at me. Don't know what kind of fish it is.

zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

I think it is a smooth puffer but kinda cool looking from that perspective :thumbup:
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
Big Bend Brian

Post by Big Bend Brian »

Great times and report!!
Brian
Quality Time